[SOLVED] [P8Z77-V PRO] Issues with installing new memory

Sep 13, 2020
I am trying to install Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - Black (HX318C10FBK2/16) into a P8Z77-V PRO and it threw up an Overclocking Error on post.

This is likely due to the board needing OC to run at that frequency correctly which I did not know at first but know now.

Well actually the first few times it simply refused to post, but eventually worked and told me to fix the OC in BIOS. By that I thought it meant reset old settings [it was previously just unlocked] back to auto, which allowed me to boot into Windows and see that yes it was running at 1866MHz, but it was still throwing up OC errors on reboot.

So I went back in and changed another setting to Auto, which led to Windows 10 straight up crashing [three times] with different errors

1. Undetermined, system error
  2. Memory Management
  3. Device..something. [Where do I find crash logs that are on a different drive?]
After the third one I removed the RAM and put my old one [G.Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBXL] which of course works fine...but now Windows from that boot drive won't load. Apparently it got corrupted? Fun. That's another thread.

Anyways. How do I install this RAM? Do I flash? Never done it before and it frightens me. I don't have the best of luck.

CPU-Z: https://pastebin.com/SXn439Gw

EDIT: Plugged them back in, set the memory to 1600ghz and it seems to be working. What was strange however, is when I had the GSkill in and looked in the BIOS the XMP stuff was there, detecting the GSkill sticks and letting me change freq. With the HyperX installed XMP is not there but I can still set the freq. Seems stable? Would flashing help?

What's the next step here? Should I even care? Memtest86?

Last edited:
Solution
I am trying to install Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - Black (HX318C10FBK2/16) into a P8Z77-V PRO and it threw up an Overclocking Error on post.

This is likely due to the board needing OC to run at that frequency correctly which I did not know at first but know now.

Well actually the first few times it simply refused to post, but eventually worked and told me to fix the OC in BIOS. By that I thought it meant reset old settings [it was previously just unlocked] back to auto, which allowed me to boot into Windows and see that yes it was running at 1866MHz, but it was still throwing up OC errors on reboot.

So I went back in and changed another setting to Auto, which led to Windows 10 straight up...

So I went back in and changed another setting to Auto, which led to Windows 10 straight up crashing [three times] with different errors

1. Undetermined, system error
  2. Memory Management
  3. Device..something. [Where do I find crash logs that are on a different drive?]
After the third one I removed the RAM and put my old one [G.Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBXL] which of course works fine...but now Windows from that boot drive won't load. Apparently it got corrupted? Fun. That's another thread.

Anyways. How do I install this RAM? Do I flash? Never done it before and it frightens me. I don't have the best of luck.

CPU-Z: https://pastebin.com/SXn439Gw

EDIT: Plugged them back in, set the memory to 1600ghz and it seems to be working. What was strange however, is when I had the GSkill in and looked in the BIOS the XMP stuff was there, detecting the GSkill sticks and letting me change freq. With the HyperX installed XMP is not there but I can still set the freq. Seems stable? Would flashing help?

This RAM has no XMP, as I understand. That's the reason XMP does not appears in your Bios.
It has a feature they call P&P, which is a series of profiles that the RAM sticks automatically tries to apply in the Bios, which is not always willing to accept that.
Also the specs of your board
says that anything above 1600 MHz is overclocking. So maybe you have to manually enter the specs for your RAM which are here https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/hx318c10fbk2_16.pdf and hope for the best.
Apparently your PC accepts 1600 MHz already.

You RAM is not on the QVL https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V_PRO/Z77_HM_Series_DRAM_QVL_201406.pdf but this list is very very short, and does not mean anything. Very similar RAM is on the list (same frequency and timing), and given that DDR-3 is very forgiving, there still is a chance to make it work.

Solution
but now Windows from that boot drive won't load
Did you make sure your boot drive was selected for first boot? If you have more than one boot drive it may have to be selected in the bios.

Did you ever reset the bios before installing the new ram? Are you running the ram in light blues slots A2 and B2, as stated in the manual?

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020

Maybe the GSkill were on the motherboard memory QVL.

You can keep what you've got or make sure that you get ram that is compatible with your motherboard.
I think your Z87 is around the same time as my X79 stuff. I had 4x4GB Gskill 2133 cl9 on my PC then.
I had no problems at all.