p9x79 BIOS flashback confusion

spiralof5

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
I have a feeling I won't be able to boot because I have incompatible RAM. I haven't tried but that's what I'm going to assume for now. I've read several people commenting on it. The problem is that I don't understand the instructions for flashing back the BIOS.

Most people say to download the p9x79 zip, extract it and rename the .rom to p9x79.rom. Yet the ASUS website confuses me. It says I need to use the BIOS converter to convert it to .cap depending on the motherboard. The table to me is super confusing.

http://support.asus.com/FAQ/Detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&no=CCBF53F7-9084-B397-C729-7C5579704573&p=1&m=P9X79%20PRO

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/usb_bios_flashback_guide/

Do I need to convert? If I do, do I need to convert and then also flash the latest bios or will the converter convert and flash the latest bios?

Solution
New motherboards have two bios chris now. If one goes bad or there a bad flash the mb falls over to the other bios chip. When you run the rom to cap converter run it twice to update both bios. Before you run it check the rev the mb bios is at from the vendor.
The Mb you have started with .rom files. Now asus uses .cap files. If you look at all off the bios files you have to use .rom file twice before jumping to the .cap files. Flash both the main and backup bios. The renamer is built into the new download and it rename the bios file for you. The list on asus web page is for all there mb .cap file names. All you need do is put it on fat32 USB stick.

spiralof5

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

I'm sorry, I should have prefaced my question with the fact that this is my first computer build.

Why would I need to flash two ROMS and which ones? Can you explain this a little more in depth? What is the main bios? What is the backup bios?

Sorry, again this is my first build.

EDIT: I am trying to use the USB method because I won't be able to boot into BIOS. This website only tells me to install the .cap converter (which is .rom) and per the dowloads page the .cap converter converts to .cap and updates to 2104.cap. Then I can update the cap to the latest version. So by this, it would seem I only need to flash the capconverter.rom and the latest .cap so now I'm confused even more haha.

New motherboards have two bios chris now. If one goes bad or there a bad flash the mb falls over to the other bios chip. When you run the rom to cap converter run it twice to update both bios. Before you run it check the rev the mb bios is at from the vendor.

Solution