P9x79 deluxe VGA_LED Red, no video on POST

TomForm47

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
System:

Asus P9X79
Intel i7-3820 CPU + Hyper 212 EVO
Corsair TX750M PS
Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 (2X4) (QVL - originally 8X4 - left 2x4 for diagnostics)
Sapphire HD7870 OC single (also tried instead Asus HD7770 Direct CU and different slots
- the same effect)
Intel SSD 330 120 Gb (however also tried to disconnect all drives - no RAID - same effect)
Plextor PX-B940SA BD drive.
Lian Li case.

Problem:
On POST, 1 long, 4 short beeps.
CPU, RAM, Boot device LEDs briefly turn ON and OFF (I assume that all these are OK).
However, VGA_LED turns on and stays ON indicating a problem. No Video.
The final Q-Code is "AE".

Any clue?

P.S. I've built more then a dozen PCs - never had any problems.

I would try again.
Have you used the Flashback USB port -near the Flashback button ?
The USB stick has to be FAT formatted.
Press the buitton for 3 seconds with the power supply on (no need for starting the board).
What beeps do you get with only CPU and CPU fan installed?

TomForm47

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012

Thank you again.
Yes, I'm not a novice in BIOS flashing.
Yes, I exactly followed instructions as in:
ASUS/BIOSConvertdetail.aspx.htm
ASUS/BIOSFlashdetail.aspx.htm
Yes, I formatted USB FAT32.
I could not see any fault in flashing behavior - it took about 2-3 min and behaved as expected.
The fact that the POST behavior didn't change after flashing makes me believe
that the problem has nothing to do with BIOS.
Since out of 4 diagnostic red LEDs three (CPU, RAM, BootDevice) go ON and OFF on Power ON,
but the VGA_LED goes ON and stays ON indicates a problem with video.
Also, the problem is not related to Video Card (two different cards, different slots).
There is no video on board.
Is the mobo at fault?

Just wanted to make sure. However, do you get one long, two short beeps with only CPU and CPU fan installed?
The AE code is related to BIOS and the red VGA led could point to a CPU socket bent pins issue (since the GPU does work). The red VGA is sometimes related also to a not supported CPU.
That's why I insisted about the BIOS update procedures.

TomForm47

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012

TomForm47

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Hello Alexoiu, again. I think my reply didn't go though.
I was away 4 a couple of days and when back checked what you suggested.
Yes, with only CPU connected I get 1 long and 2 short beeps repeatedly with Q-Code 65. I hope these clues are sufficient to at least narrow down the problem.
Many thanks in advance.

Hi, Now insert only one RAM stick. You should get one long three short beeps.
Then install the GPU. Make sure it is correctly inserted and the PCIe power cable connected. If still red VGA then I would check the socket for bent pins.
Test the board outside the case, to rule out a shorting.

TomForm47

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012

Thank you Alexoiu.
With one RAM stick, I get 1 long and 4 short beeps followed by a squeak, after which the Boot_Device LED goes off. VGA_LED is the only one that stays lit.
I expect it will be the same with adding the GPU, and it's back to square one. I borrowed a simple Asus HD5770 Direct CU that does not need a PCIe power.

TomForm47

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012

Thanks again.
I've emailed an RMA request to Asus.
Pity, never had a problem with Asus mobos in the past - used about 8 or more of them. I guess, I've been spoiled.

TomForm47

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Back to square one! Finally got the RMA mobo from Asus.
I was surprised with BIOS version 0802 (2011.11.17) even older than my original 0902. I decided to give it a try and if OK to flash to latest 3203 (2012.12.07).
No luck! The behaviour was the same - 1 short and 4 long.
The only difference was Q-code 00 (not used!).
You mentioned that the 3820 in not compatible with BIOS below 09.
My dilemma is now to try the flash or RMA. I'd appreciate very much your advice.
I was foolish of me not to try bread-boarding before putting it all together, but I trusted Asus and assumed that they tested the mobo before shipping it.
The configuration used is:
Asus P9X79 deluxe BIOS 0802
Corsair TX750M PS
Intel 3820
Asus 5770 Derect CU new
Corsair 1 stick CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9
Thanks again.

Yes, try flashing the BIOS. Follow the steps ( http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/ ):
-format the USB stick - FAT or FAT 32.
-download, unzip the BIOS 0906 file
-save it on the USB stick
-make sure that the power supply is ON (don't press the case power button)
-insert the stick in the Flashback USB port - check the manual for identifying the right port
-press the Flashback button for 3 seconds
I can't access the ASUS page at the moment. If still not working, an option would be buying a BIOS chip from ASUS eStore (if in US) or ebay - about 20$ and replace the board's one.
But the Flashback should work.

You've tried it last time without success, that's why I think it's safer to firstly flash the BIOS version that does support the CPU. For 0906, I'm not 100% sure, but I think you don't need to run the converter so try firstly without converting the BIOS file.

If flashing doesn't work, instead of RMA-ing, I suggest replacing the BIOS chip. Otherwise, you might get again a board that doesn't support the CPU. Although, being aware of the issue, ASUS should have sent a board with a BIOS flashed with the proper version.

TomForm47

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Bad news! Flash is not working. When I press and hold the flash button, I see just a single flash on the button and on the 4 G Lexar - quite different from flashing on my
original RMAed mobo - it was flashing continuously for more than a minute.
Just to make sure, I re-formatted the Lexar, re-downloaded the BIOS, re-unzipped it,
re-named it, re-copied it to the Lexar. No change.
The way I see it, it's a faulty Flash circuitry or faulty BIOS. Is this to be the RMA replacement?

TomForm47

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Yes, the board is P9X79 DELUXE; the BIOS FILE is P9X79-DELUXE-ASUS-0906.ZIP;
the UNZIPPED file is P9X79-DELUXE-ASUS-0906.ROM and the FLASH file is P9X79D.ROM.
Yes, I've inserted the USB stick in the right place and pressed the right button for the right amount of time with the power connected and the computer off.
As I pointed out, the flash on my original mobo was behaving as expected - vigorous flashing of the USB stick for over a minute as compared to the replacement mobo - single flash.
I'm sorry but, frankly, I'm surprised of the questions you're asking.

Sorry, Just want to make sure that you've followed the steps.
It's difficult when troubleshooting remotely.
You don't have to get upset. Try renaming the file to P9X79D.CAP.
If still the same, I would buy a BIOS chip.
Or RMA the board again. But this time explain ASUS that you need a board with a newer BIOS version.

TomForm47

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
No offense. As I said at the beginning, this is the first time I'm having problems after assembling a dozen or more rigs over the past 20 years. I'm always careful to follow all steps exactly and never miss anything. It's especially puzzling that I never had problems with Asus mobos before.
Are you suggesting just renaming the ROM or downloading the proper CAP?
My understanding is, that eventually I'll need a CAP BIOS for Win 8 anyway.
Buying a BIOS chip is not a problem, but what if the flash circuitry is faulty?