P9X79 Pro having video card issues

Tyrathect

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Hey guys, I'm trying to get my P9X79 pro working, but once I've booted the video card keeps crashing (driver stopped, restarted by system).

Here's my setup:

intel i7 3930k
g.skill 1600 ddr3 4gb x 6 (I've tried 8, 6, 4, 2, and 1. seems more stable with less memory)
OCZ 750w PS
Crucial m4 SSD
western digital blue 6gb/s 500gb HDD
Intel's liquid cpu cooler

and I've tried two graphics cards:
1) evga gtx560 ti
2) asus engt430

The MB is rev1.02 and bios version 0906
the drivers for the graphics card is 296.1

Both graphics chipsets and the memory are on this board's QVL, and I've installed the memory in the configurations recommended by ASUS.

I've done no overclocking. I've cleared the CMOS, installed the latest drivers from the Asus site.

I've got no load other than windows aero.

Symptoms are that the screen occasionally freezes, flickers then comes back and I get the OS message that the driver was restarted.

I can't even get the windows assessment to complete without errors.

I've run memtest overnight with no errors reported.

If I reduce the installed memory the problems happen with less frequency.

Anybody have any insight?

I'm wondering if this has something to do with PCIe communications or something.

teiji

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Hello,

I'm thinking of building a new PC with the upcoming Ivy Bridge Core i7-3770 (maybe K). What are some of the motherboards available in the market (or will release soon) based on the new Intel chipset (Z77, Z75, H77 and B75)?

Woodyliano

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Hi!

I had a similar problem. Did you insert the video card in the first blue PCI slot as per the manual? I used to have the video card in a different slot and I got the same error; then I noticed that the manual recommends the first slot. Try and see if that works.

Woody

Tyrathect

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
@woodyliano: Yeah, I had the graphics card in the first slot. I talked to ASUS, and they told me to RMA it, but I don't want to wait the weeks for a new board so I'm just going with half the slots filled (all the blue ones) which is stable for me.

teiji

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Interesting articles/videos. Which one of those are you looking forward too? And which brand generally has the best reputation (+reliability) for motherboards?

Hmm...6 sticks, are they from an X58 MOBO? If so the problem more than likely is the voltages to the RAM (DRAM Voltage, VCCSA, VTT) or DIMM Slots used. Next, I assume you have the latest WHQL drivers installed, if not use the latest <or> if the latest try the drivers on the CD that shipped with the GPU(s).

While I appreciate the QVL, its dead wrong to suggest anything but 4x__GB or 8x__GB kits.

Try increasing the VCCSA and VTT -> 1.20v, and don't use AI OC Tuner -> XMP. Set the AI OC Tuner -> Manual, set the Voltages and then both the DRAM Frequency -> RAM Rated spec and same with the CAS Timings and Command Rate (9/10) -> 2N.

IF you choose to RMA then don't do it ANY other way but to Cross-Ship otherwise a MONTH of time will pass.

DIMM Slots:
ASUS_Quad_Channel.gif

Tyrathect

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Thanks for the info, this is good stuff to try.

I was using the latest drivers, and have not turned on the AI OC Tuner. The 6 sticks was an experiment. 1, 2, and 4 worked fine, although memtest reported slower access with 1 and 2.

Hmm...32GB aka all 8xDIMM might be a problem. Make damn sure ALL of the DIMM locks are 100% closed and locked i.e. properly seated.

F3-12800CL9Q-16GBX
DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.50v

XMP Method:
BIOS: (no guarantees, but easiest)
AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP
eXtreme Memory Profile -> Profile1

/option that add stability:
CPU VCCSA Voltage -> Manual
CPU VCCSA Manual Voltage -> 1.20v ; never exceed 1.35v!!!
VTTCPU Voltage -> 1.20v ; ideally to match VCCSA
DRAM Voltage (A/B) -> 1.55v
DRAM Voltage (C/D) -> 1.55v

Save & Exit = Yes

Manual Method:
AI Overclock Tuner -> Manual

DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600 ; you can test with DDR3-1333
DRAM Timing Control /Enter
DRAM CAS -> 9
DRAM RAS to CAS -> 9
DRAM RAS PRE -> 9
DRAM RAS ACT -> 24
DRAM Command Mode -> 2

CPU VCCSA Voltage -> Manual
CPU VCCSA Manual Voltage -> 1.20v ; never exceed 1.35v!!!
VTTCPU Voltage -> 1.20v ; ideally to match VCCSA
DRAM Voltage (A/B) -> 1.55v
DRAM Voltage (C/D) -> 1.55v

teiji

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
@tinmann
Wow that's beyond my budget.

I'm guessing all of these Z77 motherboards will release around the same time as the Ivy Bridge CPU (end of April)?

Btw, is the Z75 a step down from the Z77? If so, what improvements will the Z77 have over Z75? Thanks.

supakeepa

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I have very close to the same setup and I've had the exact same problem. I've got 8 dimms of the exact same ram and as soon as I put in more than 4 sticks, I start getting the video driver crashing. It works fine with 16 gigs, but 24 and 32 gigs gives me trouble. I've updated BIOS and still no luck. I also followed the DIMM installation guide.