Packard Bell PB640 - Freezing on BIOS screen

Mar 3, 2018
Good afternoon,

This computer will be the death of me, I've installed a new graphics card as the onboard graphics have previously died and now it works but now another issue has arisen.

When I first turn it on it will boot fully and read the boot disk from the floppy drive and eventually freeze up.

After rebooting the machine (power off and on again) it won't get as far, usually it gets to checking the keyboard and floppy drive are working and then freeze again.

It will gradually load less and less until it will refuse to turn on completely.

After waiting 30 minutes, the cycle will start again my question is, is this a sign of overheating and what would be best to check to resolve it?

I'm so close to getting this machine working again, I can't give up now.

Solution
May be the PSU delivering too much ripple when hot from dried up capacitors. That may also explain why the onboard video does not work.

FYI, it's an "LPX" form-factor computer, which uses an "AT" style plug but is generally smaller than even a Baby-AT standard PSU. Also the power switch is remotely attached to the front of the case, often via full 120v wires running through the inside of the case.
May be the PSU delivering too much ripple when hot from dried up capacitors. That may also explain why the onboard video does not work.

FYI, it's an "LPX" form-factor computer, which uses an "AT" style plug but is generally smaller than even a Baby-AT standard PSU. Also the power switch is remotely attached to the front of the case, often via full 120v wires running through the inside of the case.

Solution
Mar 3, 2018

I'll open up the PSU when I can and replace the capacitors inside, I'm hoping this can be rectified as it's the last obstacle preventing me from installing an OS.

I've attached below what the onboard graphics look like, it does this as soon as the computer is switched on.

thumbnail_IMG_0187.jpg