[SOLVED] Packet Drop Using new TP-Link Archer T2U WiFi-Adapter and Archer C1200 Router

Apr 14, 2020
Hey guys, I'm currently experiencing packet drop while playing video games using zoom/discord. I'm unable to wire up my PC because I've had to move home from school during the pandemic. I've tried changing the channel and the channel width but nothing has helped it so far. I also downloaded Pingplotter and did a ping test to Google which is showing packet loss but I'm not sure how to interpret it
UIjlaMM.png

Solution
That means the chart you posted is not correctly showing the loss in the wifi. This is why you can not blindly trust these tools.

You already have done the few things you can do the fix wifi. I will assume you also checked both 2.4g and 5g radios. Maybe moving the machine.

The method games use to sync the client and the server are completely incompatible with the method wifi uses for data correction. This is why they say never play games on wifi. It only works well when you have no interference.

Your best option is to not use wifi. Get something like powerline networks or maybe moca if you have cable tv wires in both locations
You are getting a lot of ping spikes because of the wifi but no loss. The first hop represent the connection between the pc and your router and you have 0%.

Hop2 is the connection from your house to the ISP but it is configured to not respond so you do not know if there is loss or not. The 100% is obviously untrue.

The chart says your loss is being caused by hop 3 which is ISP router. It would be much more likely that it is caused by hop2. It is very common for wiring issues between the ISP and your house to cause packet loss. Unfortunately there is no way to say if there is or is not.

In any case it is outside your house you can only call the ISP to see if they can fix it.

Apr 14, 2020
You are getting a lot of ping spikes because of the wifi but no loss. The first hop represent the connection between the pc and your router and you have 0%.

Hop2 is the connection from your house to the ISP but it is configured to not respond so you do not know if there is loss or not. The 100% is obviously untrue.

The chart says your loss is being caused by hop 3 which is ISP router. It would be much more likely that it is caused by hop2. It is very common for wiring issues between the ISP and your house to cause packet loss. Unfortunately there is no way to say if there is or is not.

In any case it is outside your house you can only call the ISP to see if they can fix it.
How can you tell that it's being caused by hop3?

Apr 14, 2020
You can see that is the first node that you see packet loss. It causes the same loss in every node past it. The increasing loss on the other nodes may or may not be other issues. No way to tell since loss at hop 3 can damage your ability to test past it.
So I hooked my PC up to ethernet in a temporary spot and ran a test and everything was completely fine, this makes me think it's not an ISP issue. Any ideas?

That means the chart you posted is not correctly showing the loss in the wifi. This is why you can not blindly trust these tools.

You already have done the few things you can do the fix wifi. I will assume you also checked both 2.4g and 5g radios. Maybe moving the machine.

The method games use to sync the client and the server are completely incompatible with the method wifi uses for data correction. This is why they say never play games on wifi. It only works well when you have no interference.

Your best option is to not use wifi. Get something like powerline networks or maybe moca if you have cable tv wires in both locations

Solution

TRENDING THREADS