[SOLVED] Packet Loss Between PC and Router?

Oct 31, 2020
I have an Eero mesh connected to my ActionTec router because my house is old and the ONT uses Coax. My PC's IP is redacted

The Problem:

When I run a ping command in command prompt and monitor the packets with Wireshark, I notice that periodically my computer will stop pinging the router, and will instead send several ARP broadcasts which look like this in Wireshark:

My Eero will respond by identifying its MAC address, but the computer keeps sending the ARP broadcasts about a dozen more times over the next 5 seconds. During this time, the ping
command returns Request Timed Out
. These ARP requests usually go from my router to my PC which causes no issues, but when my PC sends the Broadcasts I experience a connection drop.

This problem is not only present while doing ping commands, but also affects the ability of people to hear me in Zoom classes and my ability to play online videogames smoothly.

Interestingly, this issue is not present in my Linux boot on the same machine so it's not a hardware issue.

Additionally, I ran a ping test on my MacBook and desktop at the same time, and only the desktop exhibited the packet loss.

I Have Tried:
  • Restarting (several times)
  • Moving the PCI network adapter into a different PCI slot
  • Updating network drivers
Please let me know if you need any further information, and any help is appreciated
I have saved the Wireshark data as a CSV and as a wireshark file if you need it

Relevant Specs
  • i7 6700
  • GTX 1080
  • Windows 10 Home 1903
  • ASUS PCE AC-68 Wireless Network Adapter

Mod Edit - Do not post personally identifying information in the public forum (IP Addresses)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Well something in windows is doing that but hard to say. Firewall almost can't block arp so it would have to be something strange.

The wireshark proves your machine actually gets the response. I have no clue why it would not update the arp table

Worst case if you can't find it maybe a static ARP with the ARP -S command would hide the problem.
Well something in windows is doing that but hard to say. Firewall almost can't block arp so it would have to be something strange.

The wireshark proves your machine actually gets the response. I have no clue why it would not update the arp table

Worst case if you can't find it maybe a static ARP with the ARP -S command would hide the problem.

Solution
Oct 31, 2020
I can confirm that a few days ago I tried disabling the firewall and the issue persisted, forgot to add that in the OP.

What exactly is a static ARP and how do I use the ARP -S command? You said worst-case so is there anything I should try before doing that?