Packet loss between router and PC

Nikolaj93

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
Hi

Since 5 days ago i have started experiencing lost packets between my computer and the router, about 10% on average, and i have no clue how to solve the problem. This is using ETHERNET and not WIFI on a 60/12 Mbps fiber connection. Details:

Motherboard: Asus M4N68T V2
NIC: Onboard (Nvidia nForce)
Router: Netgear CG3000

Here is what i have already checked:

My drivers are fully updated, both on the router and my PC
The packet loss happens only between my router and my PC.
I don't suspect a problem with the router, since my 3 roommates have 0 packets lost on 1000 trials, also using ethernet.
It's neither the port or the cable. Tried the port+cable that my roommate uses without any issues, and still experienced the same packet loss.

What is going on? How do i resolve this issue

- Nikolaj

Solution
First off good START to trouble shooting. You missed a little in it because we want some absolutes.

Don't care what happens to roommates, but lets see what happens a bit further for testing.
1) get a BRAND NEW Ethernet Cable. Try the cable in each different port to your computer, do you get the same result?
2) unplug all other cables and try again, do you still get packet loss (I assume your gdoing a simple ping test to the router IP 192.168.1.1 correct???????)
3) Have you opened your PC and cleared out any dust with canned air and a paint brush?
4) as all issues are about your port on your PC is this a onboard ethernet or a card? If card, then reseat the card, still same issue? If onboard then add a ethernet card to a extra slot...
First off good START to trouble shooting. You missed a little in it because we want some absolutes.

Don't care what happens to roommates, but lets see what happens a bit further for testing.
1) get a BRAND NEW Ethernet Cable. Try the cable in each different port to your computer, do you get the same result?
2) unplug all other cables and try again, do you still get packet loss (I assume your gdoing a simple ping test to the router IP 192.168.1.1 correct???????)
3) Have you opened your PC and cleared out any dust with canned air and a paint brush?
4) as all issues are about your port on your PC is this a onboard ethernet or a card? If card, then reseat the card, still same issue? If onboard then add a ethernet card to a extra slot and ensure it isn't the hardware (could be the pins in your ethernet port are broken).

Then we can proceed with software solutions.

Solution

Nikolaj93

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014

Ty for your answer

I will try these steps asap.
As for your questions, i'm using the onboard ethernet and i don't have a PCI ethernet card or any other source of providing internet. And yes, i'm pinging my router IP from cmd with 100 repetitions.

Nikolaj93

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014

I tried adding an ethernet card to an extra slot, and then i had no troubles at all, which means it must be my onboard NIC that has issues. Dusting it off didnt help, so i bought a new MOBO, and now i have no problems