[SOLVED] Packet Loss booting me games

ImStated

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
Hello,

So little run down. I've been having packet loss issues for about a week. I lived at my apartment for 2+ years and no issues before now. It usually happens every 15-20 minutes when I am gaming. I use a router and a modem from the isp and have ethernet cables hooked up to my PC. I have let my ISP know what is happening but they seem to not understand my issue as "everything looks good on their end." I had a "service tech" come out to my apartment and all he did was test my internet speeds from my router and OMT box which he didn't do anything else. My internet speed is 125 mbps down 60 up. Here is a picture of my ping plotter data Hop 2 is my WAN port so I am not sure if it's my modem causing this issue or what. Also, I notice on my router logs it would constantly say "SSDP packet sender x.x.x.x not from a LAN, ignoring" at least 20 times a minute. Any help or advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Solution
This is what a ping plotter looks like when you have a actual issue, many people post ones that show loss at only one node and think that means something because it is red.

In this case if we assume you only have a single router at your house the problem is on the connection between you and the ISP (hop2).

In most cases it is equipment outside your house causing issues. There is a slim chance it is your modem but it is unlikely especially if it is a fiber box. Not sure if it is like a cable box and you can log in and look at stuff. Maybe there are error messages.

If the ISP does not understand pingplot you need to use normal ping commands to show the problem. Open mulitple cmd windows and let ping run to your router ip...
This is what a ping plotter looks like when you have a actual issue, many people post ones that show loss at only one node and think that means something because it is red.

In this case if we assume you only have a single router at your house the problem is on the connection between you and the ISP (hop2).

In most cases it is equipment outside your house causing issues. There is a slim chance it is your modem but it is unlikely especially if it is a fiber box. Not sure if it is like a cable box and you can log in and look at stuff. Maybe there are error messages.

If the ISP does not understand pingplot you need to use normal ping commands to show the problem. Open mulitple cmd windows and let ping run to your router ip, the ISP ip in hop 2, and the final ip. You need to show them that you get no loss to your router but you see loss to the ISP router and it actually is a real problem because it also affects traffic to the last node. The ISP is lazy and they will not find intermittent issues unless they really test.

You could try to plug directly into the OMT to prove it is not your router but the ISP would then attempt to blame your PC so if you do that I would not share that with the ISP.

Although it is good practice to not post your IP you do not actually have a real IP it appears. IP that start with 100. are normally what is called carrier NAT. This means you are sharing a actual IP with multiple people. Other IP in the trace are routers that are public and the most someone could tell was maybe what city you live in.

Solution

ImStated

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015

If the ISP does not understand pingplot you need to use normal ping commands to show the problem. Open mulitple cmd windows and let ping run to your router ip, the ISP ip in hop 2, and the final ip. You need to show them that you get no loss to your router but you see loss to the ISP router and it actually is a real problem because it also affects traffic to the last node. The ISP is lazy and they will not find intermittent issues unless they really test.

You could try to plug directly into the OMT to prove it is not your router but the ISP would then attempt to blame your PC so if you do that I would not share that with the ISP.

Although it is good practice to not post your IP you do not actually have a real IP it appears. IP that start with 100. are normally what is called carrier NAT. This means you are sharing a actual IP with multiple people. Other IP in the trace are routers that are public and the most someone could tell was maybe what city you live in.
Thanks for the reply. I found out the ISP was upgrading their infrastructure in my community so that was causing packet loss issues. It seems to be fixed for now thankfully.