[SOLVED] Packet loss especially when downloading

metro cop

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I've just tried out a program called Ping Plotter and while pinging google i get a small amount of package loss around 1%. But the moment i started downloading something using Mega everything starting going red and my packet losses sometimes spike to 20%. The thing I'm downloading isn't pirated or anything either. What is causing this issue and what can I do about it? I'd post the results of the ping plotter but I know I'm not allowed to post my ip address so I'm not sure how much I'll have to censor.

I'm using windows 10 and my net is Exetel's NBN. I'm connected wirelessly through a usb adapter to my Netcom modem

Solution
It depends where the loss is happening. If it is in hop1 then you have a issue inside your house with your PC or router. If it is in hop2 then there is a problem with the connection to your house and the ISP needs to fix it. Be careful it is normal for packet loss to occur when you are downloading and the link is fully used. No more data will fit and it may be discarding your test data.

In general problems that are causing data loss due to data being damaged are increased as you transfer more data.
It depends where the loss is happening. If it is in hop1 then you have a issue inside your house with your PC or router. If it is in hop2 then there is a problem with the connection to your house and the ISP needs to fix it. Be careful it is normal for packet loss to occur when you are downloading and the link is fully used. No more data will fit and it may be discarding your test data.

In general problems that are causing data loss due to data being damaged are increased as you transfer more data.

Solution

metro cop

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I thought my thread was automatically put on Watch so when I didn't get any notifications I thought no one had replied yet. As for which hop package loss in happening in. The losses seem to affect all the hops during a download but when I'm not downloading and just surfing the web etc it seems to affect a bit of all the hops except hop 1. Can I post my results for you to analyze or something because I tried to look up how to analyze it myself but my mind just explodes when I try to read it all.

It should happen in all hops past a certain point. Lets say you lost all packets in hop3 but none in hop4 that would mean it is telling lies since it can't get to hop 4 if hop 3 was losing all packets.

So if you can see loss in hop 2 and all hops past it but not in hop 1 that pretty much proves you have a issue with your internet connection. The isp should be able to test and detect these losses.

metro cop

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
It should happen in all hops past a certain point. Lets say you lost all packets in hop3 but none in hop4 that would mean it is telling lies since it can't get to hop 4 if hop 3 was losing all packets.

So if you can see loss in hop 2 and all hops past it but not in hop 1 that pretty much proves you have a issue with your internet connection. The isp should be able to test and detect these losses.
OK, thank you. I'll contact my ISP and update the thread when they get back to me.