[SOLVED] Packet Loss every minute

Traxxxxxxx

Prominent
Mar 2, 2021
Hello, I have a linksys WUSB6400M wireless network adapter connected to my pc. I play multiplayer games and Every minute I have packet loss and my entire game freezes. It stops after about 2-5 seconds and it comes back to normal. I’ve brought it back to the store and they tested it and it was fine for them. It seems like it’s a me problem. Also, sometimes whenever I try it, it randomly works. But once I get off and come on the next day, the problem persists. Please help as this is very annoying.

Solution
Linksys EA8500 router:

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-...click Next.-,2.,the default password is admin.

Default IP being 192.168.1.1

Your "ipconfig /all" results indicate that your pc is getting its assigned DHCP IP address (10.112.1.138) via DHCP Server 10.112.1.1.

Was the router reset before or after your "ipconfig /all" was run?

On your pc open a browser and first type in 192.168.1.1 - what are the results? Do you see the Linksys router's admin login window? Are you able to login using the default settings from the Linksys URL above?

Then try 10.112.1.1 - likewise what do you see?

"ping" both IPs from wired and wireless devices.

Also run "tracert" 8.8.8.8 and "arp...

Ralston18

Titan
This wireless adapter?

https://www.linksys.com/qa/support-article?articleNum=239705

What do you see when you look at the LED's: both when working and when packet loss occurs?

Try using a USB extension cable to move the wireless adapter up and away from the computer. Determine if the packet losses diminish or even stop.

Manually download the applicable drivers via Linksys' website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Before using the adapter feel it to see how warm it is. Then boot up and work/game as normal. Continue to carefully feel the adapter. Does it get warm or even hot?

Traxxxxxxx

Prominent
Mar 2, 2021
Whenever i get packer loss it flashes white. Normally it’s just white. With no flashes . I don’t have a usb extension and my drivers are up to date from the website, the usb is normal heat

Traxxxxxxx

Prominent
Mar 2, 2021
This wireless adapter?

https://www.linksys.com/qa/support-article?articleNum=239705

What do you see when you look at the LED's: both when working and when packet loss occurs?

Try using a USB extension cable to move the wireless adapter up and away from the computer. Determine if the packet losses diminish or even stop.

Manually download the applicable drivers via Linksys' website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Before using the adapter feel it to see how warm it is. Then boot up and work/game as normal. Continue to carefully feel the adapter. Does it get warm or even hot?
Whenever i get packer loss it flashes white. Normally it’s just white. With no flashes . I don’t have a usb extension and my drivers are up to date from the website, the usb is normal heat

Ralston18

Titan
Flashing white (one second on, one second off) means not connected to a wireless network.

Could be interference. Or a poor physical connection between USB network adapter and the host USB port(s).

What make and model router or modem/router do you have?

The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue.

Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

Traxxxxxxx

Prominent
Mar 2, 2021
Flashing white (one second on, one second off) means not connected to a wireless network.

Could be interference. Or a poor physical connection between USB network adapter and the host USB port(s).

What make and model router or modem/router do you have?

The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue.

Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.
I have a linksys router and I have full admin rights.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in the router's logs for wireless related errors especially any that appear with a one second pattern.

Look at any listings of connected network devices; wired and wireless.

Double check device configurations with respect to wireless configuration settings. Compare to router.

What is the lease time setting?

Traxxxxxxx

Prominent
Mar 2, 2021
Look in the router's logs for wireless related errors especially any that appear with a one second pattern.

Look at any listings of connected network devices; wired and wireless.

Double check device configurations with respect to wireless configuration settings. Compare to router.

What is the lease time setting?
Lease time setting is 24 hours, I already checked the device configurations and its all respected to the wireless, I saw the listings of the connected devices and for the logs it slows down the internet so I have not checdked it.

Ralston18

Titan
Increase the lease time setting to 168 hours (1 week) just as a matter of elimination. Remember to save the configuration before exiting the router's admin screens.

Does your ISP provide IPv6? If not, disable IPv6.

= = = =

Clarify: looking at the list of connected devices on the router slows down the internet. Versus slowing down the network perhaps.

Either way - how much of a slowdown?

Do you have a USB stick plugged into the router's USB port? Or possible something else plugged in?

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

Traxxxxxxx

Prominent
Mar 2, 2021
Increase the lease time setting to 168 hours (1 week) just as a matter of elimination. Remember to save the configuration before exiting the router's admin screens.

Does your ISP provide IPv6? If not, disable IPv6.

= = = =

Clarify: looking at the list of connected devices on the router slows down the internet. Versus slowing down the network perhaps.

Either way - how much of a slowdown?

Do you have a USB stick plugged into the router's USB port? Or possible something else plugged in?

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.
Alright, increased.

Yes, they support IPv6

It's not a matter of slowdown, it just discconects from the internet every few seconds. There are a few devices connected to it not much so it doesn't really slow it down. The max mbps is 600 so that is alot.

No, no USB sticks plugged into the routers USB port.

Results of ipconfig /all:

View: https://imgur.com/a/LxIKEon
Also, to add on, this picture mightve been taken when the usb was not disconnected. When the discsonnect occurs, maybe there would be different results.

Ralston18

Titan
Is that the entire "ipconfig /all" results - seems to be missing data: e.g. information about wired network adapters.

Lease time still at 24 hours. Remember to save the configuration change before exiting the router's admin screens.

Your computer is using wireless connectivity. Are you certain that the wired network adapter is disabled?

Did you or someone else reconfigure the Linksys router? I normally expect to see 192.168.1.1 (versus 10.112.1.1) as the Default Gateway/ DHCP Server IP.

However 192.168.1.1 may not be the default setting for routers sold in your country.

I am starting to think that there is more going on than I originally thought.

Do you have a modem?

Normal connection path (line diagram). Edit and correct as necessary?

ISP -----coax, fiber, DSL ----> Modem ----Ethernet cable ----> [WAN Port]Linksys Router [LAN Ports] ----Ethernet cables --- > to wired devices

and

~~~~ wireless ~~~~~> to wireless devices.

Are you familiar with the "ping". "tracert", and "arp -a" commands?

Traxxxxxxx

Prominent
Mar 2, 2021
Is that the entire "ipconfig /all" results - seems to be missing data: e.g. information about wired network adapters.

Lease time still at 24 hours. Remember to save the configuration change before exiting the router's admin screens.

Your computer is using wireless connectivity. Are you certain that the wired network adapter is disabled?

Did you or someone else reconfigure the Linksys router? I normally expect to see 192.168.1.1 (versus 10.112.1.1) as the Default Gateway/ DHCP Server IP.

However 192.168.1.1 may not be the default setting for routers sold in your country.

I am starting to think that there is more going on than I originally thought.

Do you have a modem?

Normal connection path (line diagram). Edit and correct as necessary?

ISP -----coax, fiber, DSL ----> Modem ----Ethernet cable ----> [WAN Port]Linksys Router [LAN Ports] ----Ethernet cables --- > to wired devices

and

~~~~ wireless ~~~~~> to wireless devices.

Are you familiar with the "ping". "tracert", and "arp -a" commands?
Yes, it is the entire ipconfig. I dont have a wired network adapter connected, thats why im using wifi,

Ok

Yes, the wired connectivity is off. I am using wireless.

We recently resetted the router to try to fix my problem, and maybe that made it like that.

It is I believe

I have a Linksys EA8500 router you can check the things using this info and my ISP is Etisalat

I have used the Ping command before.

Ralston18

Titan
Linksys EA8500 router:

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-...click Next.-,2.,the default password is admin.

Default IP being 192.168.1.1

Your "ipconfig /all" results indicate that your pc is getting its assigned DHCP IP address (10.112.1.138) via DHCP Server 10.112.1.1.

Was the router reset before or after your "ipconfig /all" was run?

On your pc open a browser and first type in 192.168.1.1 - what are the results? Do you see the Linksys router's admin login window? Are you able to login using the default settings from the Linksys URL above?

Then try 10.112.1.1 - likewise what do you see?

"ping" both IPs from wired and wireless devices.

Also run "tracert" 8.8.8.8 and "arp -a" from your pc.

Post the results.

The objective is to simply learn more about the current network configuration is - may or may not be what is expected.

Solution

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
The easiest fix I’ve seen or heard with these USB adapters is simple and logical. I have 802.11 ac adapter as well by linksys, just it’s the ac1200, but if you go to device manager, find the WUSB adapter, under Ethernet adapters, right click on linksys adapter (which should be the model) click properties and find something with 802.11, there you should be able to choose the wireless compatibility setting. They should be all say 802.11 and the a letter. 802.11 N will be the best for distance and speed. Depending on your mbps bandwidth plan, will determine how much you get, and how far or what obstacles are in the way, and that’s if your router is even broadcasting 2.4 ghz and wireless N, which it should.

I don’t know how much mbps you think you need, but in a honesty a hardcore gamer only needs 10 mbps, and at least 1 mbps for upload.. for. All. Games. I’m on pure wireless right now and in a different state by choice and in the basement. Trust me if you understand what your computer is really doing you can play like all games online with 2 mbps. The main problem is the signal, and how the device is communicating with the router.

meh, my brother doesn’t listen to me, and he has 1000 mbps download speeds, and has only one wall, but he’s so fixated on getting all of the bandwidth in his gaming room at his house, and believed wireless is gonna work out. But him his wife think they know this crap, so guess who has wireless problems? Not me.

5 ghz is fast, but it’s more for the same room, and most people should realize that it doesn’t go through object easily, and in gaming, the ping difference... well that could be any number of things. But in all honesty should try to see if you can object to the wireless N network before before you do anything drastic, and changing the adapter settings may help, because by default it’s on AC and I do have a linksys adapter that was getting high mbps like 150, but the distance was just not tangible for a pure strong and consistent signal for gaming or my tools