[SOLVED] Packet Loss Issues Help

Nov 14, 2019
Anyone new to this thread, here is a summary of events.

1: Notice packet loss issue. I don't have access to network hardware and cannot diagnose beyond my PC. It has been over a month and a half waiting for schools IT dept. to have a gap in their schedule for me.

2: Tried different ethernet cables, different networks (6 including WiFi and wired connections), updated drivers, and fresh windows install, but nothing fixes it.

3: A CPU stutter has been coming and going when playing brand new titles like COD:MW, Metro Exodus, and Borderlands 3. It was cleared up by overclocking to 4.4 ghz in the bios. Then came back after a week.

4: I have ordered a cheap x270 motherboard for my i5-6600k to test bench everything on a fresh mobo and another clean windows run. Hopefully this will eliminate bios/driver issues. If this does not fix the issues I will start replacing parts until the problem goes away.

5: I'm looking for suggestions as to the cause of this issue or ways to fix it that I missed.

Original Post and updates:

First off, I'm on school internet, and they promised to come fix it. But, it has been two months (one week since my last message asking why it has not been fixed yet) and I can't just sit here waiting and wondering because I like to learn about these things quickly and prefer to fix them myself. I cannot access the network or network hardware since I am not the IT guy for the school so I am here to ask humbly for ideas about what could be causing my issue.

Sept. 30 - Notice issue. Symptoms are spikes in ping resulting in 100% packet loss up to 5 seconds. Visually while gaming the result is either normal movement and then a sudden teleport, or freezing and inputs not working. Ping is usually low, 5-25. During the glitch it spikes to upper hundreds or thousands. I have not found any other internet activity to be affected terribly, most streaming content is buffered, such as music and movies, so it doesn't matter for that.

During October I tried to combat the issue a few different ways.

I used a different Ethernet cable, cat5, cat6, long, short. No change.

Tried switching to the school WiFi network. No change.

I reinstalled a clean windows 10 64b and up to date drivers for Mobo and wifi adapter. No change.

A few weeks ago I received access to the new gaming network. The hard-line gaming network has the same issue as before with no change. The WiFi gaming network showed a small improvement (less severe/shorter lag spikes) even though the connection has less "bars" than the other WiFi network I tried. Myself and a friend tried a two player game and found it ok at times and very bad at other times, but an improvement. We were both on WiFi. He was not on the school network, I was on the WiFi gaming network.

I can answer any question aside from network hardware, diagnostic/reset, etc. All I have is a PC and an Ethernet port in the wall.

Thanks for any ideas,
Emory

UPDATE: Tested PC on different network and had same issue. Something in PC is the issue it is not the network!

Please any suggestion is greatly appreciated!

I ordered a cheap but good refurbished mobo on newegg with z270 chipset for $75 and am going to testbench all the same parts with a fresh mobo/windows to see if bios or mobo is involved.

UPDATE: Symptoms of CPU stutter are back in COD:MW, it could be related but they did just release a big patch that could also be the cause. It is strange because I beat the min spec by two cores/threads and 0.8 ghz so it should not be an issue.

Last edited:
Solution
Replacing motherboard fixed it. Not sure what the issue was. I might play around with an older chip on the other mobo and see if I can nail it down.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
You're trying to troubleshoot an enterprise network that you aren't a part of (administratively speaking)? They could have thousands of end points, load balancing, routing issues, loops, QoS, and on and on. If you've tried multiple cables, and wifi, and the other gaming network and it was all the same, then it's definitely out of your hands. It must be some issue with their network (or the destination).

Nov 14, 2019
I've had a new development in the case!

I was experiencing CPU stutter for Metro Exodus and COD:MW so I upped my overclock to 4.4 on my 6600k.
This immediately improved both those titles and made them smoother. For some unknown reason, this also made my packet loss issue less severe, the spike is often under 500 ping but still causes a small hiccup. The packets are still 100% lost during the now tenth-half of a second time period. Anyone have any clue why a CPU overclock would lessen the issue even on a low requirement game like CS:GO or Risk of Rain 2?

Edit: Seems unrelated, after a few days of testing I no longer believe the CPU is tied to the packet loss issue.

Thanks,
Emory

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019
You're trying to troubleshoot an enterprise network that you aren't a part of (administratively speaking)? They could have thousands of end points, load balancing, routing issues, loops, QoS, and on and on. If you've tried multiple cables, and wifi, and the other gaming network and it was all the same, then it's definitely out of your hands. It must be some issue with their network (or the destination).
It is indeed a losing battle to attempt to troubleshoot the network. I'm wondering more about possible hardware or software issues on my end that could cause such a thing to happen. I am planning to try the PC on a completely different network soon. This could completely rule out several factors!

Thanks,
Emory

Nov 14, 2019
Replacing motherboard fixed it. Not sure what the issue was. I might play around with an older chip on the other mobo and see if I can nail it down.

Solution