Packet loss making me lag?

oggyphillips

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2015
On pingtest.net I'm getting around 12% packet loss (I did reset my router before testing) . Is that bad because I've been getting pretty high ping and ALOT of lag today. If so how do I fix it?

oggyphillips

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2015

My pc and router haven't changed position in around a months and it's has been fine. Its only happened today so I don't think it could be that

You need to ping the router ip and see if the loss is you local wireless or something outside your house.

Wireless performance is extremely sensitive to interference. Even though you did not change something a neighbor might have and is now using the same radio channels as you.

oggyphillips

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2015

Would changing my wifi channel help?

That is always a good thing to try. You want to use 1,6 or 11 and set the channel width to only 20mhz. It may limit your top speed but it will reduce you change of contention. 40mhz uses 2 or the 3 blocks so your chance of contention with another person is high.

If you have a dual band router try to use the 5g band. It may or may not work better, it has less coverage in your house but it also gets less from neighbors since it must pass though the exterior walls. There are many more channels to try on 5g.