[SOLVED] Packet loss - My or isp problem

trolleri2015

Prominent
Mar 8, 2018
I have been having packet loss problem for quite a while. This really affects me when im gaming - In csgo it constantly jumps from 0 all the way up to 7% and then down again. The same thing happens in pubg and battlefield etc.
I have tried to run pingplotter and a traceroute test. as far as i can tell, there doesnt seem to a problem at my end. But i wanted to be sure, before i call my isp.

Is there anything else i should try/test?

Pingplotter and traceroute test:

Last edited:
Solution
It is in the ISP network but unfortunately it is a number of hops in. The main issue is going to be the techs you talk to are mostly dealing with end customer issues. They primarily work with the device in the people house and the line connection to their house.

They may or may not even have access to this part of their network and even if they did this is not something a level1 tech is going to have the skills to troubleshoot.

There is also the possibility that this is not actually in your ISP network but in another ISP. Too complex to say but if your ISP does not directly control this equipment they can't fix it.

I would collect more data and run actual ping commands to the actual hops that show you have no loss to your...

Lutfij

Titan
How are you connected to the www? If you have a router as an intermediary, then make sure that first your wireless adapter's drivers are up to date then make sure that the firmware on your router is also up to date. If you're connected using an Ethernet cable, make sure your NIC's drivers are up to date.

Make sure your motherboard's BIOS is also up to date. With all of these tasks completed, you can then try your test again and then call your ISP as the last resort.

trolleri2015

Prominent
Mar 8, 2018
How are you connected to the www? If you have a router as an intermediary, then make sure that first your wireless adapter's drivers are up to date then make sure that the firmware on your router is also up to date. If you're connected using an Ethernet cable, make sure your NIC's drivers are up to date.

Make sure your motherboard's BIOS is also up to date. With all of these tasks completed, you can then try your test again and then call your ISP as the last resort.

Everything is up to date. i am running through cable. Also tried to run directly from the supplied modem or "fiberbox" without any difference - My laptop is giving the same results aswell. with a cable.

As much as 7% would have very little affect on gaming. The information you have supplied shows the loss at the ISP but pingplotter can be very misleading. Your tracert looks fine.

Sadly in csgo it affects me so i sometimes can't hear footsteps, and flash/nades etc going off which makes it quite annoying to play some what serious. But i guess ill just have to call the isp tomorrow and see what they have to say. if there is nothing else for me to try

It is in the ISP network but unfortunately it is a number of hops in. The main issue is going to be the techs you talk to are mostly dealing with end customer issues. They primarily work with the device in the people house and the line connection to their house.

They may or may not even have access to this part of their network and even if they did this is not something a level1 tech is going to have the skills to troubleshoot.

There is also the possibility that this is not actually in your ISP network but in another ISP. Too complex to say but if your ISP does not directly control this equipment they can't fix it.

I would collect more data and run actual ping commands to the actual hops that show you have no loss to your router but have loss to the various points in the network. Many times you will be lucky if the tech knows what ping is many have no clue how to read a pingplotter output.

Solution