Question Packet loss on multiple games after upgrading pc

Nov 12, 2019
I just upgraded my PC last week and then 2 days ago I started getting some packet loss issues in Valorant and Overwatch. I got a ryzen 9 3900x, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus ATX Motherboard, and I kept my old 1070 gpu. I've done a speed test and my download is 344mbps and upload is 23.83mbps with 8 ping. I tried packetlosstest.com and it says i have 8.1% late packets and .1% upload/total packet loss. I really do not know what's going on, I've checked my ethernet connection on both sides and it seems fine and nobody else in the house is having any issues either.

Also, when i start a round in valorant sometimes the knife sound/animation goes off like 5 times. I sometimes stream and I had no issues with the stream or in discord while playing but I'd still get the packet loss. I had graphs open on valorant, that's the only reason i knew it was packet loss. Could the issue be my graphics card failing?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019
Is this wifi or wired? Try the freeola line test (not speed test) and see if you have any loss there. Let me know.
it's wired, don't even have wifi on this board, maybe norton changed something with it's firewall protection? free ola line test the picture isn't loading for some reason

also I fully reinstalled windows and I'm still having the same issues, reinstalling some programs gives me issues with download speeds too, it's like 50/50 either download super fast or freeze up and never download.

Last edited:
it's wired, don't even have wifi on this board, maybe norton changed something with it's firewall protection? free ola line test the picture isn't loading for some reason

also I fully reinstalled windows and I'm still having the same issues, reinstalling some programs gives me issues with download speeds too, it's like 50/50 either download super fast or freeze up and never download.
Gotcha. Try that line test and let me know if there's any packet loss there too.

May 13, 2020
I just upgraded my PC last week and then 2 days ago I started getting some packet loss issues in Valorant and Overwatch. I got a ryzen 9 3900x, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus ATX Motherboard, and I kept my old 1070 gpu. I've done a speed test and my download is 344mbps and upload is 23.83mbps with 8 ping. I tried packetlosstest.com and it says i have 8.1% late packets and .1% upload/total packet loss. I really do not know what's going on, I've checked my ethernet connection on both sides and it seems fine and nobody else in the house is having any issues either.

Also, when i start a round in valorant sometimes the knife sound/animation goes off like 5 times. I sometimes stream and I had no issues with the stream or in discord while playing but I'd still get the packet loss. I had graphs open on valorant, that's the only reason i knew it was packet loss. Could the issue be my graphics card failing?
In a situation like this, ideally you need to check if all your drivers are updated. In my case, i had to re-install windows for the updates to take effect as I was not able to do it manually. Also get a cpu monitor to see if theres an app hurting the performance of your system causing it to overheat etc. Its in general a good accessory to have

Nov 12, 2019
In a situation like this, ideally you need to check if all your drivers are updated. In my case, i had to re-install windows for the updates to take effect as I was not able to do it manually. Also get a cpu monitor to see if theres an app hurting the performance of your system causing it to overheat etc. Its in general a good accessory to have
hmm yeah i updated all my drivers and it seems like there's no issues, i even reinstalled windows and tried again and it's still doing it. I got open hardware monitor and that's showing no problems from what I can tell so idk what's going on.

hmm yeah i updated all my drivers and it seems like there's no issues, i even reinstalled windows and tried again and it's still doing it. I got open hardware monitor and that's showing no problems from what I can tell so idk what's going on.
That's why you need to do the linux test--to see if it even works right. Because if it doesn't, it points to a hardware or network issue.

Nov 12, 2019
I performed a tracert and it's showing all my ping is less than 21 so idk what' happening, I couldn't figure out how to do install the linux on my pc, it kept giving me issues :(