Question Packet loss on one PC

Jun 7, 2023
As the title states, I am getting unexplainable packet loss on only one of my PCs in the house. It's connected via ethernet straight to the wall plug, the other PC I have on the same network is connected to the switch and is not experiencing such issues. I have tried to fix the issue by:
- Getting a new ethernet cable
- Replugging the PC into a different socket
- Updating the Ethernet drivers
- Powercycling all aforementioned devices
- Using QoS settings
- Removing all devices from the network to see if congestion was the cause
I have used this PC in this exact setup for years now and had no issues with packet loss, but now I get constant 2-12% (very rarely does it go back down to 0) packet loss and the internet speed is significantly slower than other devices connected via ethernet. There are moments where the internet seems to fix itself for about 10 minutes and the issues go away but then go back to the same slow internet and constant packet loss. I am quite green when it comes to internet issues so would appreciate some help here.

kanewolf

Titan
As the title states, I am getting unexplainable packet loss on only one of my PCs in the house. It's connected via ethernet straight to the wall plug, the other PC I have on the same network is connected to the switch and is not experiencing such issues. I have tried to fix the issue by:
- Getting a new ethernet cable
- Replugging the PC into a different socket
- Updating the Ethernet drivers
- Powercycling all aforementioned devices
- Using QoS settings
- Removing all devices from the network to see if congestion was the cause
I have used this PC in this exact setup for years now and had no issues with packet loss, but now I get constant 2-12% (very rarely does it go back down to 0) packet loss and the internet speed is significantly slower than other devices connected via ethernet. There are moments where the internet seems to fix itself for about 10 minutes and the issues go away but then go back to the same slow internet and constant packet loss. I am quite green when it comes to internet issues so would appreciate some help here.
You will have to eliminate the in-wall wiring as the possible source. Get a long ethernet cable and run it across the floor (and down stairs, etc) and plug your PC directly into the router. See if you still have the problem. If you don't want to deal with the long cable, then you would have to move the PC close to the router and test.

Jun 7, 2023
You will have to eliminate the in-wall wiring as the possible source. Get a long ethernet cable and run it across the floor (and down stairs, etc) and plug your PC directly into the router. See if you still have the problem. If you don't want to deal with the long cable, then you would have to move the PC close to the router and test.
I have another PC that's plugged directly into the switch that's connected to the router and that PC doesn't have that problem and has significantly faster and more stable connection. Though this problem was not present before and I did not switch out any in-wall wiring at all - can it just randomly stop working/ start working poorly?

kanewolf

Titan
I have another PC that's plugged directly into the switch that's connected to the router and that PC doesn't have that problem and has significantly faster and more stable connection. Though this problem was not present before and I did not switch out any in-wall wiring at all - can it just randomly stop working/ start working poorly?
This is all the more reason to test without the in-wall wiring. You need to directly connect to that switch or to the primary router to eliminate the in-wall wiring as the problem.