[SOLVED] Packet loss/ping issues.

Mar 15, 2019
So randomly today I get on my desktop (connected with ethernet cable to netgear r6400 router connected to my modem) and on numerous games I'd get random packet loss and ping issues causing me to even disconnect. I called my ISP and there are no issues on their end. I also did a factory reset on my modem after a firmware update failed to solve the problem. Internet speeds seem fine it's just random spikes. Any ideas? It's been fine for 4-5 years till today.

Solution
So first step is hook to the modem directly and see if the problem is with the internet connection or with your router. It is unlikely with the router unless you are using wifi.

If you have issue directly hooked to the modem then it is highly likely it is something wrong in the network outside your house. The ISP should be able to do ping tests from their site to your PC and also see the loss.
So first step is hook to the modem directly and see if the problem is with the internet connection or with your router. It is unlikely with the router unless you are using wifi.

If you have issue directly hooked to the modem then it is highly likely it is something wrong in the network outside your house. The ISP should be able to do ping tests from their site to your PC and also see the loss.

Solution
Mar 15, 2019

Ok so the modem is a netgear cm500 and when I connect the only slot to my desktop it connects as an unidentified network with limited connection (no internet)