Packet loss problem

Silent_Assasin

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
So I have a wired connection. Recently I started experiencing packet loss in online gaming in which the game would freeze and the character would teleport. The net graph shows loss of data. I ran a ping test to the game server in the background just to cross confirm. It shows request timed out whenever I lag. When I run the ping test to my ISPs local node it doesn't show loss normally. But if I run some large downloads or play game while doing it then the loss bumps up to 2-3%. All the tests were run with a test to the router simultaneously and the loss to router was 0% always. My ISP claimed it was the server problem and dismissed it. Is it my ISP's fault. What do you think should I do to solve the problem?

Solution

What Game/Server...

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016

What Game/Server??

There is a WOW latency fix called (I think) "leatrix"; it is basically a registry hack that changes how your computer stores and sends data packets; I have found it substantially reduces the server drop outs and lag spikes while gaming.

However it is also worth going the thinkbroadband website and setting up a line quality monitor. It will send pings to your IP 24/7 and test the latency min/max, spikes and packet loss, and put it all in a 24 hour graph.
I did this to prove it wasnt my ISP, but a game server fault causing my disconnects about a year ago.

Solution

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016

QOS sets the bandwidth available to certain devices, it shouldnt cause packet loss; and as the OP reports packet loss to the router is always 0%, it is unlikely QOS could even remotely be the cause.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016

Ok, try streaming some videos/music and see what happens.

As before, go visit thinkbroadband.com and create an account; then set up a line quality monitor and see what it comes up with.

To set up a monitor after registering; click "My Profile", then "Broadband Quality Monitor"; this will take you to a page to view, create or edit your line monitor.

FAQ for the service here https://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/broadband-quality-monitor

Packet loss is normal when your connection is maxed.

You either have to not max it or use QoS to manage it.
QoS can drop packets from high bandwidth apps over low ones like gaming.
With no QoS everything is serviced FIFO. All packets drop once the buffer is filled, which is normal.

Certain NICs randomly drop packets. If you're using a killer one read all the settings you have enabled. It's not a practical way to deal with the issue.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016

Packet loss is NOT normal; if you think it is, you have crap hardware, a bad line, or a shoddy ISP.

Here is my line quality report for the last 24 hours; there IS a bit of an issue yesterday, but that might be the thunder storm.

Packet loss is shown along the top of the graph; if you cannot see it, look closely at the far left and you will see a few spikes of 1-2% occurring over the course of an hours or so.

http://

This is with eight devices connected; including one streaming videos from China, two streaming Youtube and one running torrents.

The packet loss might also be the stream from China, as it does have regular issues, due to the number of nodes it goes through to get here.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016

Wiki also used to claim Claude van Dam played for a Sardinian football team, that the fans all wore bowler hats and waved fish in the air when their team scored. Quoting Wiki at Uni is a good way to get a "D".

What you are referring to is what cheap and nasty ISPs do when they have more customers than bandwidth at their gateway; with correct packet routing, it should never happen and on the internet back bones, this is very rare indeed. To say a customers router does this as part of QOS is incorrect.

Have a read http://