[SOLVED] What's causing packet loss same time everyday ?

Slahr

Prominent
Oct 23, 2020
Hello so since we’ve moved we got Armstrong internet we’ve had it for about 5 months and everyday at like 7-30 until like 1am I have packet loss issues and I don’t know to much about internet but I tried to call them and tell them they just keep telling me they ran tests and they see no packet loss or issues with the modem and I used ping plotter to see if it was coming from my hardware didn’t see anything I replaced my Ethernet cord, I just don’t know what it could be.

Solution
Time of day things are almost always related to other people traffic. In theory it could be other people in your house or maybe software downloads on your machines but those are very unlikely.

So first always test on ethernet. Wifi it could be interference form other people home from work.

First step is to run tracert to some ip like 8.8.8.8. It likely will not show anything interesting the goal is to get the ip addresses of the routers in the path.

Now open mulitple cmd windows. Leave a constant ping run to hop 1 (your router), hop 2 (should be the first ISP router) and then 8.8.8.8.

If you see issues on hop1 it is some problem in your house. If hop 1 is good but hop 2 is bad it means there is some issue with...
Time of day things are almost always related to other people traffic. In theory it could be other people in your house or maybe software downloads on your machines but those are very unlikely.

So first always test on ethernet. Wifi it could be interference form other people home from work.

First step is to run tracert to some ip like 8.8.8.8. It likely will not show anything interesting the goal is to get the ip addresses of the routers in the path.

Now open mulitple cmd windows. Leave a constant ping run to hop 1 (your router), hop 2 (should be the first ISP router) and then 8.8.8.8.

If you see issues on hop1 it is some problem in your house. If hop 1 is good but hop 2 is bad it means there is some issue with the connection between you and the ISP. Check you modem for any errors, your ISP claims they did this. Now it could be that they oversold the internet and all your neighbors are competing for bandwidth. You should see very large ping times as well as packet loss if that is the case. Generally if you see good ping times but packet loss it is some kind of error damaging the packet. When you get delays and loss it means they were buffering the data but the buffer got too full and they dropped it.

If both hop 1 and hop 2 are good you can continue into other hops but it gets much harder to get anything fixed since it could be outside your ISP network.

Reactions: Slahr
Solution

Slahr

Prominent
Oct 23, 2020
Okay I’ll try this later when it starts happening thank you but I’m pretty sure it’s something with bandwidth because once in a while I randomly get 1% packet loss during the day but in the morning when everyone’s sleep I have no issues the internet is amazing or at night time like 2am I won’t have issues but when it hits around 7 o’clock at night I start getting anywhere for 1-15% packet loss constant