Question packet loss spikes up to 100% every couple of minutes

Aug 16, 2022
I'm on ethernet
I've replaced my router (standard rental router)
there are no visible tears in the ethernet cord
my isp is spectrum and the one-gig plan
my ethernet wire is cat6 and 75 ft long

I don't know what the problem is and I've called my isp and they said that they have no packet loss on their end

this started ever since I moved my setup further away from my router

here is a ping plotter test: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jg4mdmbCu8FQgK5u8

Look carefully at your ethernet cable. See if it says EIA/TIA on it. There like is a number like 23AWG or some other value. This is the wire size. It might also have the letters CU on it. What you don't want to see is CCA.

If there are no markings that is a sign of a fake cable but it might be ok.

Key is the cable must be pure copper (no cca) with wire size 22-24 (none of the flat or thin cable). You do not need any fancy cable cat5e is all just be sure it meets these specs.

The only reason they get away with selling this junk cable is that it most times will work at short distance. It has a lot of issues at longer distance.

You might want to use a normal ping command to ping the router IP,192.68.1.1 in your case. You should pretty much see no loss and latency should be 1ms most times.

There is not much that can cause loss. It is will be a bad port or a bad cable and most times it is a bad cable. The suggestion to check for the "green" power save stuff is also a very valid thing since these options have trouble with longer cable that is certified.

Aug 16, 2022
Look carefully at your ethernet cable. See if it says EIA/TIA on it. There like is a number like 23AWG or some other value. This is the wire size. It might also have the letters CU on it. What you don't want to see is CCA.

If there are no markings that is a sign of a fake cable but it might be ok.

Key is the cable must be pure copper (no cca) with wire size 22-24 (none of the flat or thin cable). You do not need any fancy cable cat5e is all just be sure it meets these specs.

The only reason they get away with selling this junk cable is that it most times will work at short distance. It has a lot of issues at longer distance.

You might want to use a normal ping command to ping the router IP,192.68.1.1 in your case. You should pretty much see no loss and latency should be 1ms most times.

There is not much that can cause loss. It is will be a bad port or a bad cable and most times it is a bad cable. The suggestion to check for the "green" power save stuff is also a very valid thing since these options have trouble with longer cable that is certified.
the cable says "cat6 4PR 24AWG STRANDED BC UTP ETL CM 75*f EIA/TIA" and i aready did ping command and each time it said i have packet loss but low ping

Yes that is good cable BC means bare copper. If you can get this cable replaced under a warranty I would try. It could be you just got unlucky and have a defective cable.

Pretty much the wire itself seldom has issues. You can look for any obvious defect, if it was pinched it can break but it leaves a very obvious mark in the outside of the cable.
The most common issue is one of the ends is not properly attached. On long cables like this one I sometime recommend attempting to replace the ends or replacing the ends with keystones if it is a permanent install.

In this case it is hard. The wire is stranded rather than solid. It means you need special rj45 ends which are not as common and I don't know if they make keystone jacks for stranded wire, normally you run solid core wire in walls.

Not sure what to recommend it is acting like a broken cable....at least you hope it is a bad port in your machine can't really be fixed.

Reactions: Tioym