Packet Loss/Stuttering While Gaming With Good Ping? [Router may be the cause]

Raziza

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
This is my first post on here and I need some help answering a question.

I have had my router for a little while now and it has worked fine up until recently. I play games some what competitively like CS:GO, Battlefield 4, and others. I've been noticing during my play the games are all stuttering, doing small teleports, and just generally running like garbage compared to what I'm used to. I've narrowed this down to packet loss seeing how many of this issues are directly related to it. My only guess as to what this could be is my router. It is a Vizio XWR100. From looking around the internet has brought me to is that the router is old and isn't meant for gaming and streaming. I could be wrong, and this is why I want to check on here. I don't feel like dropping $200 on a router that can't solve my problem. Any help would be appreciated.

[Just going to mention my internet connection, ping, and speed are all fast and able to handle gaming and streaming with ease.]

Solution
An easy way to test if it is your router is to remove it and see if the problem goes away too. Take the cord coming from your modem that the Internet Service Provider (ISP) gave you and plug it directly into your computer instead of going to the WAN port on the router. If it still has issues, then it is the router. And that wouldn't necessarily mean the router is "broken" but it could just be missconfigured (i.e. has some settings not properly set).

The router is only 2 years old, it should still be fast enough to play games on. Is anyone else using the connection when you try to game? Do you have it password protected with WPA2 so no neighbors can "leech" your signal? If you remove the router and it still goes very slow and choppy...

Sylverac

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
An easy way to test if it is your router is to remove it and see if the problem goes away too. Take the cord coming from your modem that the Internet Service Provider (ISP) gave you and plug it directly into your computer instead of going to the WAN port on the router. If it still has issues, then it is the router. And that wouldn't necessarily mean the router is "broken" but it could just be missconfigured (i.e. has some settings not properly set).

The router is only 2 years old, it should still be fast enough to play games on. Is anyone else using the connection when you try to game? Do you have it password protected with WPA2 so no neighbors can "leech" your signal? If you remove the router and it still goes very slow and choppy, you need to contact your ISP. Good speeds on speedtest.net does not mean your internet connection is good for gaming. There are so many factors involved (Download/Upload speed, physical location of the game server you connect to, latency, network saturation, etc) and your ISP is in the best position to help you evaluate what the problem is if you find the router is not the problem.

Solution

Raziza

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Thanks for the help.

I do have someone on the internet sometimes when I play games, but most of the time it is just me using the internet. I live in Canada which is usually as bit far from the servers I connect to, but that shouldn't be a factor considering this problem only came about recently. I will try and connect it directly and see if that fixes it. If ti does, I'll clear your answer as a solution.