[SOLVED] packet loss

Dec 11, 2021
Hello
I have horrible packet loss ranging from 50% to 92% daily , it runs like this all day, sometimes it would go to 0 packet loss for about 10-20 seconds and i would be able to play and then it would go back to packet loss. Aside from that note it runs constantly all day and everyday and i get very fustrated trying to find a fix.
To add onto this , this started happening 2-3 months before then my wifi was fine and running perfectly , hence what said since this issue started ive bought an ethernet cable {cat-8) and still experience packet loss.

Solution
If you purchased a cat8 cable it is a fake almost for sure. I don't think the standard has but fully approved yet. It is only really for cables used in data centers where they are running 40gbit. Even if they sold them to end consumers real ones would be outrageously expensive.

BUT it may not be the cable especially if wifi did it also. Wifi it kinda expected but not ethernet also.

Your first test is to leave a constant ping run to your router IP. This will show you if you have a cable issue or some other issue in your house. It is highly unlikely but you need to rule them out to start.

The most likely cause is some problem with your internet connection.

I would next run a constant ping to 8.8.8.8 and see if you get...
If you purchased a cat8 cable it is a fake almost for sure. I don't think the standard has but fully approved yet. It is only really for cables used in data centers where they are running 40gbit. Even if they sold them to end consumers real ones would be outrageously expensive.

BUT it may not be the cable especially if wifi did it also. Wifi it kinda expected but not ethernet also.

Your first test is to leave a constant ping run to your router IP. This will show you if you have a cable issue or some other issue in your house. It is highly unlikely but you need to rule them out to start.

The most likely cause is some problem with your internet connection.

I would next run a constant ping to 8.8.8.8 and see if you get loss to that IP. If you do then run tracert 8.8.8.8 You likely will not see anything interesting, the goal is to get the IP of the ISP first router which should be hop 2. You now want to ping that IP and see if you get packet loss.
In many ways you hope this is where the problem is because it is the simplest to get the ISP to fix. You would want to show the ISP that you get no loss when you ping your router but you get loss when you ping their router. This would tend to be some issue with the cable outside your house but I would check the inside cable to the modem to see if there is anything obviously wrong. You do not have the tools to test it so just looking for damaged cable or maybe if it got wet is the best you can do.

Solution
Dec 11, 2021
responding to the pinging on the bottom portion of your message , i pinged 8.8.8.8 and tracert it , when i now trace the second hop this is what it said:

Pinging 10.240.177.221 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 10.240.177.221:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

and since you said its the simplest fix , i hope everything is good after i call tommorrow, thank you bill.

Dec 11, 2021
i also have the same statisics for hop 6 as hop 2 with the packet loss , im not good with tech but im just wondering is hop 6 included with the packet loss problem?

This makes things hard. The ISP has configured their equipment to not respond to ping. It does not mean anything really if it gets loss.

I assume you saw lots of packet loss to 8.8.8.8 ?

What you have to do is find the first node in the trace that will respond to ping and see if you get loss to that ip.