Question Packet loss

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
Hello, so when i changed providers im experiancing packet loss every single day with my current provider, never had issues with my last one allways was fine. What i dont understand is that both providers use same cables to the exchange. Can anyone explain to me???

How are you testing the packet loss. Are you ping the ISP router or something else.

Could be some issue between your ISP and another ISP. My ISP the last couple days has been getting loss to google DNS servers but not cloudflare DNS.
These type of cases you really can't do much since it is far into things you have no control over.

There might be a thousand or more miles between two points on the Internet. The "same wire" is probably from your computer to the box outside. Maybe even to the end of the neighborhood. What about the remaining one or two thousand miles? That's what the "traceroute" command is used for (on Windows it is "tracert"). This is not perfect though as it uses ICMP protocol, and the actual connection will use something else. This also only tests perhaps three packets per hop. Got Wi-Fi? Then you will have problems even beginning to test due to all of the issues Wi-Fi has with noise.

Reactions: aurimasandrisiunas

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
How are you testing the packet loss. Are you ping the ISP router or something else.

Could be some issue between your ISP and another ISP. My ISP the last couple days has been getting loss to google DNS servers but not cloudflare DNS.
These type of cases you really can't do much since it is far into things you have no control over.
So ive noticed that is something wrong right away by playing games. And i use ping plotter and also threw cmd. Ive canceled my contract with my current provider as i cant deal with it anymore they sent engineers few times but never been fixed, last provider had no issues at all..

Generally that is what it means. The connection past the first ISP router can be very different
The last mile to your house is likely owned by 1 company and they sell access to multiple ISP. It can though be implemented differently. In most cases the connection to your house is connected to the same electronics on the other end no matter who you buy from. There were some DSL installs where the different ISP had their own equipment in the cabinet and they moved the wires that go to your house to differnet equipment physcially. This only works for old style phone lines where there is a dedicated piece of wire between your house and the cabinet. Things like fiber or cable the media is shared by many houses so they have to logically connect you to different ISP.

I would test ping to hop 2 in the trace this should represent the connection between your house and the ISP.

Ive no packet loss on hop 1 and 2, it start from hop 3
If you can save proof of which hop fails, such as with a traceroute which consistently shows a particular hop, then the ISP can use that to update and/or repair. One problem though is that only the higher level techs tend to have the proper equipment to deal with that (often managers of the area). Getting their attention and getting an individual route hop fixed can be a bit of a problem.

Even on the same route filters are used for parts of bandwidth and different customers might be using a different band such that one band works, but another has issues (different bands are subject to different noise). Sometimes the filter itself goes bad. Sometimes you must provide the information and really push for a fix. Traceroute with time of occurrence, showing issues at multiple times, is pretty good evidence if you can get it to the right person.