[SOLVED] packetloss

Slahr

Prominent
Oct 23, 2020
so I've been having packet loss issues for a while now and couldn't determine what it was either could my isp provider i called them multiple times and they said they didn't see no issues, i was running tests in the command prompt to see where it was coming from and the only time i picked up packet loss was when i ran a ping to google servers so it isn't coming from me but what does this mean i have the packet loss issue with fortnite does this mean my isp data is having trouble getting to like google and fortnites servers? what can i do about this.

Solution
I am sorry I assumed you misread the plot way too many people do.

This is a exactly what a pingplot looks like when there is a problem. You see packet loss at hop 7 and every hop past there.

You are also extremely lucky that it appears that your ISP owns this router.

So maybe try to open a ticket by email rather than calling. That way hopefully if the first tech can not understand the problem they forward the email to someone who can. ISP customer support can be idiots at times though. Make sure you explain to them how to read the pingplot trace. That the problem does not start until hop 7 and then contiunes all the way to the end. Be very sure to point out there is no loss to your router or even to the first ISP...
You need to hope that the problem is not between ISP those you tend to not get fixed. It may not even be in your ISP at all.

You could try tools like pathping but you have to be very careful about the results some things that look like problems are not.

Best is to run tracert and then leave constant ping run in back ground windows to various hops in the trace. Most important are going to be hop 1 (your router) and hop 2 (most times the first ISP router). You would also need a ping running to a final node so you could tell if when you get loss to that node if there is loss in the other ones.

Getting stuff fixed in the first 2 hops is fairly common. Stuff later on it is extremely hard to get to a higher level support tech that has access. In most cases they do not like to deal with uneducated consumers so you tend to only talk to the level 1 guys who generally only have direct access to equipment providing service to the home users. Obviously if the problem is in googles or another ISP network your ISP can't fix it. You have no ability to call tech support in another ISP because you are not actually their customer.

Slahr

Prominent
Oct 23, 2020
You need to hope that the problem is not between ISP those you tend to not get fixed. It may not even be in your ISP at all.

You could try tools like pathping but you have to be very careful about the results some things that look like problems are not.

Best is to run tracert and then leave constant ping run in back ground windows to various hops in the trace. Most important are going to be hop 1 (your router) and hop 2 (most times the first ISP router). You would also need a ping running to a final node so you could tell if when you get loss to that node if there is loss in the other ones.

Getting stuff fixed in the first 2 hops is fairly common. Stuff later on it is extremely hard to get to a higher level support tech that has access. In most cases they do not like to deal with uneducated consumers so you tend to only talk to the level 1 guys who generally only have direct access to equipment providing service to the home users. Obviously if the problem is in googles or another ISP network your ISP can't fix it. You have no ability to call tech support in another ISP because you are not actually their customer.
i ran all the pings and i only had 1% packetloss on hop 2 and 14% on the 7th hop

You should really see no packet loss on hop 2, maybe 1 packet here and there but not enough to get to 1%.

Show the ISP that you see no loss to hop 1 but see loss to hop 2. See if they can see the loss. They have other tools to see poor quality lies also.

Hop 7 is likely not fixable. Your first step is to dig around the tools that show who own what IP and see what ISP owns that router. If you are very very lucky it will be your ISP.

Slahr

Prominent
Oct 23, 2020
You should really see no packet loss on hop 2, maybe 1 packet here and there but not enough to get to 1%.

Show the ISP that you see no loss to hop 1 but see loss to hop 2. See if they can see the loss. They have other tools to see poor quality lies also.

Hop 7 is likely not fixable. Your first step is to dig around the tools that show who own what IP and see what ISP owns that router. If you are very very lucky it will be your ISP.
my mistake it was one lost packet not 1% and the 7th hop is owned by my isp according to ping plotter

Slahr

Prominent
Oct 23, 2020

my mistake it was one lost packet not 1% and the 7th hop is owned by my isp according to ping plotter
so what should my next step be what do i tell my isp

I suspect you are misreading the pingplot results. This is why I almost never recommend people use this. They look and go "red bad must fix" without understanding the problems with the tool.

If you only have large packet loss on hop 7 hop 8 and other hops do not have the same or more loss then it is likely the router is configured to only respond to a certain amount of ping to prevent denial of service attacks.

Be very sure you are correct about hop 7 being bad before you contact the ISP. So many people don't know what they are talking about and it is why the high level techs do not like dealing with end consumers.

Your only option is to contact the ISP but good luck the first level techs many times do not even have basic knowledge like how tracert and ping function.

Slahr

Prominent
Oct 23, 2020
I suspect you are misreading the pingplot results. This is why I almost never recommend people use this. They look and go "red bad must fix" without understanding the problems with the tool.

If you only have large packet loss on hop 7 hop 8 and other hops do not have the same or more loss then it is likely the router is configured to only respond to a certain amount of ping to prevent denial of service attacks.

Be very sure you are correct about hop 7 being bad before you contact the ISP. So many people don't know what they are talking about and it is why the high level techs do not like dealing with end consumers.

Your only option is to contact the ISP but good luck the first level techs many times do not even have basic knowledge like how tracert and ping function.
well no i only used pingplotter to get the ip address and see which one was indicating packet loss after i got the ip address to the 7th hop i ran it in the command prompt and it can back like 12% packet loss and i pinged 150 packets to be sent also is there a reason why i only see hop 1 and 2 then it skips straight to 7 there is no hop 3 4 5 or 6.

I am sorry I assumed you misread the plot way too many people do.

This is a exactly what a pingplot looks like when there is a problem. You see packet loss at hop 7 and every hop past there.

You are also extremely lucky that it appears that your ISP owns this router.

So maybe try to open a ticket by email rather than calling. That way hopefully if the first tech can not understand the problem they forward the email to someone who can. ISP customer support can be idiots at times though. Make sure you explain to them how to read the pingplot trace. That the problem does not start until hop 7 and then contiunes all the way to the end. Be very sure to point out there is no loss to your router or even to the first ISP hop.

It is actually much more likely it is one of the other hops (ie 3-6) causing the problem but only the ISP can see the actual numbers since they have the routers configured to hide the response.

All I can say is good luck. Your pingplot very clearly show the ISP has a problem. Not you just have to convince them of that fact.

Note even hop2 which is you connection to the ISP is not that good. It has a lot of jitter (variation in the latency). You really want the average rates to be closer to the minimum rates. It likely is not going to be huge problem but you might see micro lag in some latency dependent games. Fornite not so much because it has so much RNG involved but shooter like COD you would be more likely to see issues.

Solution

Slahr

Prominent
Oct 23, 2020
Well my isp has a online chat so I can get into a live chat with one of there agents and yeah when I was running hop 2 in the command prompt I noticed a lot of jumps in the ping times it was going from like 20ms up to 80 then back down it just kept jumping around should I point this out to them could they do something about it and what do you mean make sure to sure you explain to them how to read the pingplot trace? I’m not sure what you mean should I send them a screenshot then tell them what each hop is or?