Question Packets sent higher than recived

Superiorcurve

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
A friend of mine has had some serious internet issues while gaming the past couple months. He does have spectrum 500mbps (which hits a constant 498mbps in a speed test) and they have been to his home on multiple occasions and replaced the modem twice. He is connected via ethernet and I have replaced that cable for him on multiple occasions. The game in question is Escape from Tarkov which I know is horribly optimized but multiple installs and settings adjustments has not fixed the game freezing or disconnections. While playing the packets sent are usually around 600Kbps-1MB while the packets received are at a constant 8Kbps-64Kbps. I have updated the Ryzen bios, Reinstalled the nividia drivers for a 2060. Windows Defender does a full scan about once a week but nothing shows up. Other players have had issues with allocated disk storage but there is only a 1TB ssd in this system and the RAM has passed a memtest. The system has never BSOD. These stutters and disconnects have happened before on other games.

Hard to say what a valid data rate is for any particular game. I mean world of warcraft used to use less than 30k up and down, could play it on a dialup modem.

Speedtest shows you have no network issues. The game could use 498mbps if it wanted. Since this is very fast connection it not likely it is someone else in the house say watching netflix at 4k.

Maybe you are getting packet loss. Leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 in a background window and see if you see corresponding loss when the game has issues.

This really seems like something other than a network issue