Page fault in non paged area ntfs.sys

jbostock

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
Hi,

I am getting the page fault in non paged area blue screen error whenever I boot my PC.
I have tried to boot Windows 10 in safe mode using the Windows 10 USB install stick but that gets the error as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Update:

I disabled my SSD in the Bios and now the computer hasn't suffered a blue screen so far.
I was previously unable to load the Windows 10 setup screen (it would crash a second or two after loading it).
My operating system was installed on the SSD.

My guess is that the issue is being cause by the SSD? Any idea towards how to fix it?
I can't do a clean install of Windows on the SSD because the error is crashing Windows including Windows 10 setup.

This is a Samsung Evo 850 250GB SSD.

Reactions: bro1234
Solution
I found a solution that is working so far.

There was a problem with NTFS on my solid state drive. I downloaded an image of Linux Ubuntu and created a Linux bootable usb. I booted linux on my PC using the usb stick. Once I got to the desktop I opened a terminal window and typed the following command.

sudo ntfsfix /dev/nameofthedrive

The name of the drive I used was the one that linux identified it as when I run the lsblk command, which lists the connected drives.

the ntfsfix command found an error on my drive and it looks like it corrected it (so far).

I am now able to boot into windows on my SSD and it looks like I haven't lost any data.

QuantumBoy

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
I am also getting the same problem. As well as "Paged fault in nonpaged area" I am also sometimes getting one that says something like critical process died and some kernel mode error?

Its a complete loop so I can't access the desktop at all, only BIOS by pressing DELETE during start up.

I get the same errors whether I am booting from my HDD, SSD, or USB. I've tried unplugging everything except HDD and tried the same with SSD and USB. I checked my BIOS settings and CSM is enable and secure boot is disabled.

I'm currently downloading openSUSE and I'll see if it boots from a USB, maybe its just not liking windows?

Specs:
Intel Skylake i3 6100
GIGABYTE H170-HD3 DDR4
2 x 8gig sticks of Kingston HyperX DDR4 Ram running at 2133MHz (have tried taking either sticks out and changing slots, even tried someone else's RAM.)
R7 260x (have since taken it out to see if that was causing the issue so just using integrated graphics for the moment)
WD 1T HDD.
OCZ 240gig SSD
CoolerMaster 550w PSU

The Mobo, CPU, Ram and SSD are all new, but the PSU and HDD are not although they were working fine before.

Sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread just figured we probably have the same issue so no point starting a new one.
Thanks!

jbostock

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
I found a solution that is working so far.

There was a problem with NTFS on my solid state drive. I downloaded an image of Linux Ubuntu and created a Linux bootable usb. I booted linux on my PC using the usb stick. Once I got to the desktop I opened a terminal window and typed the following command.

sudo ntfsfix /dev/nameofthedrive

The name of the drive I used was the one that linux identified it as when I run the lsblk command, which lists the connected drives.

the ntfsfix command found an error on my drive and it looks like it corrected it (so far).

I am now able to boot into windows on my SSD and it looks like I haven't lost any data.

Reactions: bro1234
Solution

QuantumBoy

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016

I'm glad you've been able to find a work around. Unfortunately I tried booting into Linux and even that won't work. I'm sending my mobo back under warranty, fingers crossed they send me a new one and it works.

gdgo92

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

Hello! I'm having a similar issue with the BSOD loop and have gone through different troubleshoot options, most threads pointed to ram or driver issues but after running memtest and memory diagnostics along with a clean reinstall of windows on my sdd (and discarding gpu or psu issues) the problem is still there. How did you pinpoint your sdd as the source of the page fault error? Thanks in advance!