[SOLVED] Page Fault in Non Paged Area

Sep 11, 2019
Here's my situation. I have a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit PC with an internal M.2 SSD Drive. Everything was running fine until this morning when I ran Mini Tool Partition wizard and extended the Windows partition (C drive). Mini Tool asked to reboot to make the changes which I did. When Windows rebooted I get "Page Fault in Non Paged Area" BSOD. I even tried booting from my original Windows 10 USB Drive - that comes up and asks me to choose 64 or 32 bit - I select 64 and it shows loading windows at the bottom with the progress bar which completes - then a new blank blue screen comes up and just sits there - nothing happens.

Suggestions?

Could it be RAM and not related to Mini Tool?

Thanks!!!!!

I have no experience with Mini Tool Partition wizard, so I cannot say anything about it's reputation (I always use gparted for that).

This is what I suspect: You probably ran the program within Windows, and even if it is stating being caple or resizing an online (mounted and in use) partition, thing may go wrong. And it probably have.

If you suspect RAM being an issue, you get Memtest86+ and let it run for some hours.

Sep 11, 2019
I have no experience with Mini Tool Partition wizard, so I cannot say anything about it's reputation (I always use gparted for that).

This is what I suspect: You probably ran the program within Windows, and even if it is stating being caple or resizing an online (mounted and in use) partition, thing may go wrong. And it probably have.

If you suspect RAM being an issue, you get Memtest86+ and let it run for some hours.

How would I run Memtest86+ if I cannot get Windows to boot?

Sep 11, 2019
empty NTFS partition?
so you delete the partition?

can't reinstall windows?

I extended the Windows partition using Mini-Tool partition wizard and then rebooted, and now I get the error message. When I try to reinstall Windows from the USB drive I get the same error message. So yes, I cannot get Windows to reinstall.

Sep 11, 2019
I extended the Windows partition using Mini-Tool partition wizard and then rebooted, and now I get the error message. When I try to reinstall Windows from the USB drive I get the same error message. So yes, I cannot get Windows to reinstall.

I did not delete the 211mb partition - I just extended the C drive partition and requested using that 211mb - which the partition wizard did select...

Sep 11, 2019

I did download Memtest86+ but when I went to create the USB drive to run it on the new computer I got the message 'you will not be able to boot from this drive' - although when I look at this drive thru windows explorer it did write the files?

Colif

Win 11 Master
211mb hardly worth extending a drive for anyway, if you really need 211mb its time for a new drive if you need more space.

what motherboard do you have?

Are you sure it booted off Installer the time you got same error? maybe its running into secure boot and PC is actually trying to boot the C drive as usual, and ignoring the USB.

non paged area is ram, page faults are normal but this was in an area of ram that is usually not paged into hdd. Some parts of windows have to stay active in ram to run... normally i would blame a driver for this. But if it only statred after the reize, it has to be related somehow.

Memtest: How is the USB formatted, some will only boot from a FAT32 format others NTFS etc.

if you can boot off USB eventually, here is a way to get into off C if you want to save any
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Sep 11, 2019
211mb hardly worth extending a drive for anyway, if you really need 211mb its time for a new drive if you need more space.

what motherboard do you have?

Are you sure it booted off Installer the time you got same error? maybe its running into secure boot and PC is actually trying to boot the C drive as usual, and ignoring the USB.

non paged area is ram, page faults are normal but this was in an area of ram that is usually not paged into hdd. Some parts of windows have to stay active in ram to run... normally i would blame a driver for this. But if it only statred after the reize, it has to be related somehow.

Memtest: How is the USB formatted, some will only boot from a FAT32 format others NTFS etc.

if you can boot off USB eventually, here is a way to get into off C if you want to save any
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd
Yes - you are right - 211mb isn't worth it and I do not need more space. Was just bored and decided to consolidate the drive - bad choice!
I know it's accessing the USB with Windows 10 on it since it actually starts the install and then just sits at a blank blue screen forever.

I did download Memtest (not Memtest86 since that was giving me an error(1) with a syslinus error and was not bootable - tried it) and that worked. I tried both NTFS and exFAT32 with Memtest86 with no luck).

I'm going to boot from the Memtest USB on the new PC and run it - see what it finds.

I cannot understand why I cannot complete a fresh windows install from the USB drive with windows on it. that USB works fine on other PC's and allows me to get into recovery mode.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What motherboard is it? some new ones have secure erase mode in the bios so you can wipe ssd and start again

how far into the installer do you get?

I don't think its ram, its going to be the ssd since thats where page file would be, and that is the part you changed. Wonder what that extension did.

Sep 11, 2019
What motherboard is it? some new ones have secure erase mode in the bios so you can wipe ssd and start again

I don't think its ram, its going to be the ssd since thats where page file would be, and that is the part you changed. Wonder what that extension did.

It's an EVGA X299 Dark Motherboard.

The installer gets to where it asks me to choose 64 or 32 bit - I select 64 bit - loading files progress bar shows on the bottom and completes all the way to the end - then it goes to blank blue screen and sits there forever. That should be the screen where I choose to install windows or repair the computer.

Colif

Win 11 Master
hmmm, lets see what memtest finds.

that is before its even gotten to the ssd. installer normally loads itself into ram. Not sure if it also tries to detect other hardware that early, it creates a ram drive to run itself in

Sep 11, 2019
Look at Memtest website to read instructions on how to use it. You don't use Windows explorer to copy files, you need to use separate tools for that. Or you can also burn it to CD if you have a cd/dvd rom.
I did use memtest86 instead of memtest86+ and created a bootable usb , that worked

TRENDING THREADS