[SOLVED] Pagefile is huge

lazo1999

Distinguished
May 20, 2015
So my pagefile is huge and I dont know what to do with it
Its about 13GB which is a lot for an 128gb ssd. I had 8 gb ram and i thought it was the reason, so i got 16gb. i mostly game on this like pubg and R6S. But before ram usage was almost full only in pubg, and now only in pubg is around 8.2 gb. Not even close to 16. r6s uses around 6 no matter my ram.
When i set it to 0 or just something smaller than 13gb then R6S crashes and has a bad time. when i set it to auto it uses 13gb again. I dont get it. its almost the size of my ram and i dont even use my ram capacity. Why is this happening and how to shrink it w/o making anything unstable?

Solution
Slightly off topic, Division 2 would crash regularly on me, hunting through the logs it seemed to be a pagefile issue (it was set at 5GB I think with 16GB of RAM, whilst only using about 10GB of RAM at any one time. Increased the pagefile size and the problems went away.

The pagefile can be used by programs even when you hav loads of head room in real RAM, and if not written well can create some odd outcomes. At least in my situation it crashed, forcing me to look at the logs, rather than it just stuttering whilst it unloaded and loaded stuff to RAM, at which point i'd have probably never figured it out.

@Nigel Spike, that's what I expected to happen with around 5GB, nothing would touch it unless I was doing heavy photoshop.
D

Deleted member 14196

ssds are so cheap, why are you using an ancient SMALL ssd? also with 16GB ram you should only require it to be about 2gb and it should be fine. you have windows issues as well as a super small useless ssd. 500Gb minimum Crucial MX500 is 62 dollars on amazon.

you can also move the swap file to a different drive like an HDD

Slightly off topic, Division 2 would crash regularly on me, hunting through the logs it seemed to be a pagefile issue (it was set at 5GB I think with 16GB of RAM, whilst only using about 10GB of RAM at any one time. Increased the pagefile size and the problems went away.

The pagefile can be used by programs even when you hav loads of head room in real RAM, and if not written well can create some odd outcomes. At least in my situation it crashed, forcing me to look at the logs, rather than it just stuttering whilst it unloaded and loaded stuff to RAM, at which point i'd have probably never figured it out.

@Nigel Spike, that's what I expected to happen with around 5GB, nothing would touch it unless I was doing heavy photoshop.

Solution

lazo1999

Distinguished
May 20, 2015
I set it to a range of 2.7gb-3gb instead of of a hard number and apears to work nomally. perfmon now says its sittting on about 10% at idle which means ~300mb. So i guess for now its ok. No crashes.