Pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys - safe to remove ?

polirak

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Hello everyone .

I found this 2 files , 32 GB + 24 GB on my 120 GB SSD - it makes 25 GB left on this SSD .
I have another 240 GB SSD + 2 TB HD but wonder if I should remove this 2 giant files or not ?

I have 32 GB RAM and 3930K CPU .

Thanks

Solution
To disable hibernation and delete the file open an elevated command prompt (right click run as admin) and type: powercfg.exe -h off then hit enter.

To change or delete the paging file, system control panel, advanced system settings, advanced tab, Performance -- hit settings button, advanced tab, hit change button under virtual memory. Highlight for various drives, it will be all on C right now, but you can have no paging file on that drive, and if you want create a small one on a HDD. Hit OK when done and restart Windows.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, you can remove both. Some folks like to put a small paging file on a HDD just in case (I don't and never have issues running tons of VMs with 32Gb).

To actually delete the hiberfil.sys type powercfg.exe -h off in an elevated command prompt. Turning off hibernation in the power control panel alone will not delete the file.

edit: HERE is a good SSD optimization guide, and they recommend the same and have some other tips.

RealBeast

Titan
To disable hibernation and delete the file open an elevated command prompt (right click run as admin) and type: powercfg.exe -h off then hit enter.

To change or delete the paging file, system control panel, advanced system settings, advanced tab, Performance -- hit settings button, advanced tab, hit change button under virtual memory. Highlight for various drives, it will be all on C right now, but you can have no paging file on that drive, and if you want create a small one on a HDD. Hit OK when done and restart Windows.

Solution