Paging File: Is this necessary?

Solution
Some applications expect there to be a page file, whether or not it is truly needed, and will malfunction if there isn't one. I'd create a small one, perhaps 8MB, just to have one.
well, depending on what you do with you computer and how much ram you use, you may not need the paging file. I hit 8GB of ram usage on my 16GB between photo/video editing, 3D rendering, and gaming, so I like to leave my paging file alone

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Well I don't do any intensive gaming, 3d stuff or video/photo editing. So maybe I'm just not stressing the computer at all.
-----------
OK - so I'll set up a Paging File in case I need it later. I run XP on a 20gb partition of a 30gb SSD (with 7gb free at the moment as I install almost all Programs on D drive which is a 7200rpm SATA). So I have a 10gb partition available that could be used for the Paging File on that one or I could create a partition on the 7200rpm SATA. There's lots of free space on that. But its slower. Or I could use an Msata drive of 16gb (maybe partition it so I can use the rest of it for something else).

What's the best option?