Painkiller demo 2 with 5900XT

NaDa

I played both "Serious Sam" games many times after their release and I
haven't seen too many relentless first-person-shooters since those
two, but "Painkiller" comes very close of being the
next-generation-dumbass shooter. The game has a more "serious"
overall vibe and quite frankly, some of the beauty seen on the levels
with the building architecture and beautiful sunsets made me feel
really lonely after butchering 50 hellish monsters with spikes and
angel-manufactured machine gun. Anyway, the element that I was most
impressed with "Painkiller" was the "Havoc" physics engine that made
the monsters roll over in most macabre ways, or they'd get spiked on
walls. It pissed me off somewhat that they were then pecked by a
bunch of hungry crows, and I reluctantly collected their green-oozed
souls. My 5900XT had slight slowdowns when I witnessed the monster
corpses vanishing and releasing their green fart souls. Nice smoke
effect, but I would had rather plodded my feet through the corpses in
the vain of old Commodore 64 classic "Nemesis the Warlock". The
frame-rate can go all the way up to over hundred, but it also might
slow down by 70, so this won't run too well on a 800MHz machine with
GeForce 3.

I heard a pixel-shader 3.0 support is coming for this release as well,
and it's already looking really fancy and detailed (although I still
hate those wooden boxes with ammo!). 250 monsters killed makes you
feel real lonely between heaven and hell. Why can't they just talk
and walk in the park and admire the architecture like I did?

Nada wrote:
>My 5900XT had slight slowdown

What are your system specs and what game settings, AA, AF did you use? What
FPS did you get during the slowdown?

TMC

NaDa

"Too_Much_Coffee ®" <looking@the.grrrls> wrote:
> Nada wrote:
> >My 5900XT had slight slowdown
>
> What are your system specs and what game settings, AA, AF did you use? What
> FPS did you get during the slowdown?
>

> TMC

No FSAA and AF, just everything set to highest at 1024 x 768. When
nothing happened, no monsters appeared, the frame-rate was sometimes
insane 100+ frames per second, sometimes almost 200, but the slowdowns
were at 30 to 40 when fighting with the monsters or seeing the
monsters vanishing into a hellish smoke nearby. I don't think I saw
the frame-rate going under 30 at any point, so it's a hellova lot more
smoother experience than "Far Cry". The monsters are detailed
extremely well, the ragdoll physics a la Havoc are funny and insane
and the level architecture really pretty with painting-like sunset
skies. No complaints about trilinear filtering either, but
anisotropic filtering would had no doubt brought more crispiness. The
game itself is fun like "Serious Sam" in small doses, but those wooden
ammo boxes make me cringe.

My test system was:

WinME
ram: 256MB DDR