Paint It Black: 15 Ways to Dark Mode Your PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom10167

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
This is really helpful, your best article yet.

I would like to add: For those already using Stylish or much preferably Stylus, you'll have noticed a lot of sites won't have a dark theme. The theme here https://userstyles.org/styles/158321/global-dark-style-everything-to-dark-2018 is really good for that. In Stylus under manage the "applies to" lets you use it on specific sites like a whitelist, or you can set it to not apply to certain sites, like a blacklist. Didn't know about the dark settings in Windows though, really nice addition.

I do find it amusing that through all of this, discussion of Tom's Dark Theme is absent. Is it in the works?

Thanks for the Windows and Office Tips. I use the Dark Reader extension for Chrome myself.

Jake Hall

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013
Youtube never stays dark, for me. Windows 10 File explorer took some tweaking to get right, but i'm glad they're finally incorperating it. Google and stupid-ass facebook need a dark theme too.

There is some sloppiness in the article:

Referencing Word for a dark theme and changing the documentatio color refers to: C:Users[YOURID]AppDataRoamingMicrosoftTemplates.
Where's the backslashes? a quick cut-and-paste will result in an error for those who don't realize they're missing. While on the subject of Word, this help only seems to apply to Office365, a monthly subscription service based Office product. Not everybody WANTS to pay a monthly fee for the product, especially when older versions work just fine. (Also we have less to worry about in the potential of MS feeding themselves "telemetry" via Office365.)

Oddly, Notepad++ seems to default to a non-dark theme (light background, dark text), at least everytime I've installed it... Yeah, you can switch it to a dark theme of your choice, but if you have any custom Language definitions, be prepared to work on changing them to keep a dark theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.