Paintbrush saves in 1996*1378 grrrr

zibizibi

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Hi,

Why does Paintbrush saves screenshot in 1996*1378 by default in Win7? And how to change that and make it save by default in the native resolution ?

Solution
Are you talking about the "Paint" utility that's built into Windows 7? When you paste images into it, it simply adds them to the existing default image that you get when you start the program. If that default image is larger than the screen capture, then you'll end up with extra stuff in it.

To change the size of the default image, click the "Home" tab and the "Resize" option. I've found that if you open Paint, set the size, and close Paint again without saving the image, it changes the default size for the next time you open Paint. What I do is set this to 1 x 1 pixel so that anything that's pasted will "grow" the image to it's own size.

By the way, the Snipping Tool is also terribly handy for capturing stuff from the screen...
Are you talking about the "Paint" utility that's built into Windows 7? When you paste images into it, it simply adds them to the existing default image that you get when you start the program. If that default image is larger than the screen capture, then you'll end up with extra stuff in it.

To change the size of the default image, click the "Home" tab and the "Resize" option. I've found that if you open Paint, set the size, and close Paint again without saving the image, it changes the default size for the next time you open Paint. What I do is set this to 1 x 1 pixel so that anything that's pasted will "grow" the image to it's own size.

By the way, the Snipping Tool is also terribly handy for capturing stuff from the screen - type "Snip" into the "Start -> Search" box to find it.

Solution

isamuelson

Distinguished
GIMP is another tool you could use. It's much more powerful than Paint and it might overwhelm most people that only need basic editing needs. However, if you're looking into a free Photoshop alternative, GIMP is pretty darned good.