[SOLVED] Painting GPU fans/backplate/shell?

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hello everyone, I'm going to do a Budget build with the theme of Black, White, and RGB. For this build, I want an RX 570. Originally, I wanted the Asus Strix 570, but the price is not $140 instead of the original $120. The only other $120 rx 570s are the Sapphire Pulse edition, XFX version, and redragon version. I'm one of those guys who likes looks a little bit too much in a PC, so I want my GPU to be black and white.
Could I paint on my GPU backplate/fans/shell plastic with acrylic paint?
I'd paint over the red line on the sapphire pulse, or paint the fans white on the XFX version, or paint over the red dragon with white on the redragon edition.
Would this interfere with airflow or melt across the backplate or something?
A little bit of an awkward question, but I don't want to speend the extre $20 on the same gpu when I could paint another version and use the $20 for an aftermarket cooler.
Thanks!

Solution
You could technically paint the shell, but you may be voiding the card's 2 to 3 years of warranty coverage if you use something that can't be easily removed. If the card fails within that span, you might wish you paid the extra $20 for a model that's already the color you are looking for.

Also, paint could potentially mess with the balance of the fan blades, possibly causing the fans to not last as long or make more noise, so painting the fans themselves might not be the best option. In any case, unless you are installing the card upright with a riser card or something, you probably won't be able to easily see the fans once the card is installed anyway.

I'm assuming this is a gaming build? What are the complete specs of the system...
You could technically paint the shell, but you may be voiding the card's 2 to 3 years of warranty coverage if you use something that can't be easily removed. If the card fails within that span, you might wish you paid the extra $20 for a model that's already the color you are looking for.

Also, paint could potentially mess with the balance of the fan blades, possibly causing the fans to not last as long or make more noise, so painting the fans themselves might not be the best option. In any case, unless you are installing the card upright with a riser card or something, you probably won't be able to easily see the fans once the card is installed anyway.

I'm assuming this is a gaming build? What are the complete specs of the system you were thinking of building, and the budget you are targeting? And have you considered any other models of cards in the sub-$200 price range?

Solution
any type of paint you use on any of the surfaces you will be adding insulation to the card. so less heat, possibly much less heat, will be dissipated and it will very likely lead to worse performance or maybe something even worse. most manufacturers put a lot of work into the design of their cards including heat dissipation from every available surface.

your best option would be to just save up a bit more $ and search for a black & white card(or whatever colors you decide upon) to purchase that fits your planned theme.
or maybe replace the GPU housing with a pre-built custom cooler & fans that will better fit your theme. though that will likely cost even more $.

Reactions: Insane Potatoz

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019

I'm assuming this is a gaming build? What are the complete specs of the system you were thinking of building, and the budget you are targeting? And have you considered any other models of cards in the sub-$200 price range?
Okay. I’ll get the red dragon RX 570 then cause you can’t really see the dragon. I have looked on PCpartpicker for cards under $130 but the best one is the RX 570 other than that there’s like get 710s and rx 560s
Edit: here are my most-likely specs:
Ryzen 1600
B450m steel legend (already bought)
EVGA 600 gd (already bought)
Dark flash DLM21 (already bought)
Team T force delta RGB 16gb 3000mhz (already bought)
Silicon power 512gb SATA ssd
Seagate barracuda 2TB sata hard drive

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
any type of paint you use on any of the surfaces you will be adding insulation to the card. so less heat, possibly much less heat, will be dissipated and it will very likely lead to worse performance or maybe something even worse. most manufacturers put a lot of work into the design of their cards including heat dissipation from every available surface.

your best option would be to just save up a bit more $ and search for a black & white card(or whatever colors you decide upon) to purchase that fits your planned theme.
or maybe replace the GPU housing with a pre-built custom cooler & fans that will better fit your theme. though that will likely cost even more $.

Okay. Thanks!