[SOLVED] Pairing one 16GB RAM with 2x8GB RAM

Sep 29, 2021
I have a PC with two 8GB 3200Mghz (ADATA D30) sticks plugged to a Ryzen 3600 on a Gigabyte B550 Gaming X Motherboard.

I have been facing memory bottleneck, and want to add more RAM to my current setup.

Is it appropriate to install one 16GB stick for now (same brand and clock speed as my current 2*8GB sticks) in either of the two free channels?

Will the setup run in dual channel (16 GB + 2x8GB) ? or something else that I don't completely understand?

I want to buy one 16GB stick instead of two 8GB sticks, becuase I believe this way I can keep one of the channels free to install another 16GB RAM (hopefully, same brand and same clock speed) in future if I need more RAM.

I use my PC to learn DS/ML (beginner level), and more RAM in future might be desirable.

I appreciate any feedback on this.

Solution
I have a PC with two 8GB 3200Mghz (ADATA D30) sticks plugged to a Ryzen 3600 on a Gigabyte B550 Gaming X Motherboard.

I have been facing memory bottleneck, and want to add more RAM to my current setup.

Is it appropriate to install one 16GB stick for now (same brand and clock speed as my current 2*8GB sticks) in either of the two free channels?

Will the setup run in dual channel (16 GB + 2x8GB) ? or something else that I don't completely understand?

I want to buy one 16GB stick instead of two 8GB sticks, becuase I believe this way I can keep one of the channels free to install another 16GB RAM (hopefully, same brand and same clock speed) in future if I need more RAM.

I use my PC to learn DS/ML (beginner level), and more RAM in...

I use my PC to learn DS/ML (beginner level), and more RAM in future might be desirable.

I appreciate any feedback on this.
yes you could, will it perform better? not that much, by making 1 channel on 16 and 4gb, while the other 4gb is on another channel, it'll run flex mode kinda, but it wont perform good. if you need that ram than go for it, if you don't want to sacrifice the memory performance, go buy the similiar 2x4gb kit, and it will perform better than that.

Solution
First off....its' best to install memory as a set.
By not doing so....you have greater risk of incompatibility.
...in that it may not work at all.

According to the manual....there is no mention of running with three sticks.

The manual says this....

"When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used."

Being it says nothing regarding three modules....I don't think we can conclusively say what will happen.

Sep 29, 2021
Thank you for this. I too read the manual.

I could appreciate the need to insist on matching module , but then I keep reading about setups that say 2x16gb + 2x8gb, that run fine.

All three of my sticks are same brand ADATA, model D30, but different capacity (2x 8gb + 1x16gb). I want to learn about AMD's flex mode and the downside of this setup, untill I can afford another 16GB stick (same model) ram in few months.

Thank you for this. I too read the manual.

I could appreciate the need to insist on matching module , but then I keep reading about setups that say 2x16gb + 2x8gb, that run fine.

All three of my sticks are same brand ADATA, model D30, but different capacity (2x 8gb + 1x16gb). I want to learn about AMD's flex mode and the downside of this setup, untill I can afford another 16GB stick (same model) ram in few months.
the flex mode would run just as usual, but like what other said, it's between performance vs capacity. hardly prefer to go another 2x8gb kit with the same kit you have to get the best performance and capacity, rather than 2x sitcks + 16gb alone.