Pairing RAM sticks

Matt0087

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Hi. I have a MSI A88X-G45 GAMING motherboard. I currently have two RAM slots in use with two different size RAM sticks (one is 4GB, the other is 8GB); they were purchased at different times, but other than the size, they have identical specs and the same series of RAM (Viper 3). Is it a bad practice to mix two different sizes even if the specs are the same?
Here are the two RAM components:

Now, I am thinking about upgrading to 16GB total RAM. Would it be okay to purchase a new Patriot PV38G160C0RD, which is identical to the currently installed part? or do I need to purchase a whole new pair of 8GB sticks?

Solution
Yep, the manufacturers test all sticks as they go to put sets together, you can pull sticks right off the assembly line and they might play, might not. Also the XMP programming is by the packaged set, i.e. the tRFC may well be much higher on a 4 stick set than on a 2 stick set, as well as the other secondary timings that you only see in the BIOS or SPD

Matt0087

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

Is it really considered mixing if I'm buying the exact same part?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Yep, the manufacturers test all sticks as they go to put sets together, you can pull sticks right off the assembly line and they might play, might not. Also the XMP programming is by the packaged set, i.e. the tRFC may well be much higher on a 4 stick set than on a 2 stick set, as well as the other secondary timings that you only see in the BIOS or SPD

Solution

Matt0087

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

It sounds like my best option is to completely replace the old RAM. So, should I buy 2X8GB or 4X4GB? Does one configuration offer an advantage over the other?

Matt0087

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Which of these would be superior? They are all within $3 of one another on Newegg.
F3-1600C9D-16GXM (CL=9) has the most reviews and is a best seller, but it would have the slowest response in ns (based on this explanation: RAM Latency vs Frequency)

F3-2400C11D-16GXM (CL=11) would be the fastest. Should I go with that?