Question Pairing RTX 3070 with this PSU

a59

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Hello, i currently have Aerocool VX PLUS 500 and about to buy a used MSI Geforce rtx 3070 gaming x trio for a decent price (240$) I have no intentions to overclock it, my CPU is 12th gen Intel i5 12400f, the PSU has 2x8 connectors both are 6+2 connectors, would be out of my budget to get a PSU at this point, will the current hardware work well together?

hzGpuCL.png

D

Deleted member 2731765

No, please AVOID using Aerocool PSUs. Get a high quality model, since that PSU is of poor quality, and definitely not recommended for high end GPUs. .

They lack the quality and efficiency unlike other PSU brands.

D

Deleted member 2731765

Get something else whenever you have the money. Always consult a tier list like this before you buy a PSU, last thing you need is a underperforming PSU that won't output power and light itself on fire.

Never SKIMP on the PSU. This is the most important PC component. I can't stress this enough. The main concern is the "quality" of the power, the quality of the components used/CAPS, as well as the total AMP drawn on the +12V RAIL (output), the efficiency under load, "ripple suppression", among other factors, unlike the actual PSU brand.

OEM also matters a lot !

Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: a59

a59

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Get something else whenever you get the money. Always consult a tier list like this before you buy a PSU, last thing you need is a underperforming PSU that won't output power and light itself on fire.

Never SKIMP on the PSU. This is the most important PC component. I can't stress this enough. The main concern is the "quality" of the power, the quality of the components used/CAPS, as well as the total AMP drawn on the +12V RAIL (output), the efficiency under load, "ripple suppression", among other factors, unlike the actual PSU brand.

OEM also matters a lot !

Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system.
You are right, unfortunately i made a dumb choice cheaping out on the power supply, i had i7 4770 non k and GT 1030 at the time thought it would be sufficient enough for extreme entry level hardware but then i upgraded my platform and kept the same PSU now paying for that idiotic mistake by not choosing something more reliable and future proof. I guess i'll forget about it for now until i get a better PSU and hopefully find another GPU on the same tier with a nice price instead of risking an expensive component.

Thank you!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Good move to hold off for now. As I always tell people who think about pairing a poor PSU with a quality GPU but can't afford to upgrade the PSU, if you buy the sports car, you have to buy the insurance and upkeep for the sports car too.

There will always be used GPUs available that are upgrades for you. So there's nothing wrong with waiting until you can get a proper PSU to go along with it.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Would this one be enough?

looking for the most budget friendly option at this point, anything above 50$ is too extreme if i want to get that card before someone else buys it.
No.

It's almost impossible to get anything of quality enough for a 3070 at $50. You basically would need to find just the right sale at just the right time. PSUs haven't been immune to inflation and supply crunch and right now, I only see a few around $80 that I'd use short-term and you don't get to actual good ones until around $100 since nothing seems to be on sale at the moment, at least in the US.

There was a time three or four years ago that EVGA G3 PSUs regularly had sales that would drop some of them into the $70 range, but PSUs have been more expensive since COVID.

a59

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Unfortunetly where i'm currently located my options are very limited

These are what's available for me to order, i mean 70$ is tops what i can pay if i really have to pay this much. I know better now that PSU is just as important as any other hardware if not the most important part because if it goes down rarely it goes down alone without taking a couple of components with it.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Unfortunetly where i'm currently located my options are very limited

These are what's available for me to order, i mean 70$ is tops what i can pay if i really have to pay this much. I know better now that PSU is just as important as any other hardware if not the most important part because if it goes down rarely it goes down alone without taking a couple of components with it.

Unfortunately, I don't see an option with the budget as is. You don't start hitting quality PSUs on this store until $115.

Let me put it the reverse way: if the extra $65 needed to get a good PSU is something you can't do, then how much would it hurt to be out the $240 you spent on a GPU?

I would recommend you hold off on this idea for now until you're able to buy both a GPU *and* a PSU. Or find a used 1660 or something, which ought to provide enough savings to get you the PSU. That would still be a major GPU upgrade and you'd be doing it safely.

Reactions: Phaaze88 and a59
D

Deleted member 2731765

i made a dumb choice cheaping out on the power supply, i had i7 4770 non k and GT 1030 at the time thought it would be sufficient enough for extreme entry level hardware

Technically speaking, the Aerocool would be okay for the GT 1030 GPU. The TDP is very low of this card, around 20-30 watts, so it won't put that much strain and stress on the PSU wattage. The GT 1030 also requires no external power connectors, and draws power from the PCIe slot.

But for HIGH end latest GPUs, like the RTX 3070, it is too risky to even power up this card using this Aerocool model.

Nvidia recommends a min 650 Watts high quality and a reliable PSU for the 3070.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS