PAL VHS capture - source film

Hi,

I have a PAL VHS. I captured with HUFFYUV and it looks like the source is
definitely a film. Top fields are the same as bottom ones. So what should I
do with that? How should I encode this footage? Progressive?

--Leonid

> Hi,
>
> I have a PAL VHS. I captured with HUFFYUV and it looks like the source is
> definitely a film. Top fields are the same as bottom ones. So what should
> do with that? How should I encode this footage? Progressive?
>
> --Leonid

If you are 100% sure there are no interlaced/combed frames, then yes, just
encode it as 25fps progressive. If there are combed frames, you could either
leave it interlaced, or run it through DeComb to align the fields.

Adam H <dfghjkl@fghjkl.ur> wrote:
: If you are 100% sure there are no interlaced/combed frames, then yes, just

It doesn't look like there combed frames.

: encode it as 25fps progressive. If there are combed frames, you could either
: leave it interlaced, or run it through DeComb to align the fields.

Ok, this footage is only 23 minutes. And I'm putting it together with another
footage which is interlaced. I guess the DVD won't allow me to have 1
interlaced and 1 progressive, right?

--Leonid

Adam H <dfghjkl@fghjkl.ur> wrote:
: If you are 100% sure there are no interlaced/combed frames, then yes, just
: encode it as 25fps progressive. If there are combed frames, you could either
: leave it interlaced, or run it through DeComb to align the fields.

By the way, Adam, what benifit am I getting if I encode the footage as
progressive versus if I encode it as interlaced?

Thanks.

--Leonid

> Ok, this footage is only 23 minutes. And I'm putting it together with
another
> footage which is interlaced. I guess the DVD won't allow me to have 1
> interlaced and 1 progressive, right?

Unless your authoring software has that specific limitation, I don't think
it is a problem. I am pretty sure have had interlaced and progressive on the
same DVD before.

> By the way, Adam, what benifit am I getting if I encode the footage as
> progressive versus if I encode it as interlaced?

Some people claim MPEG2 encoding is more efficient on progressive material.
I have never tested this myself, so I don't know if this is really the case,
or just theoretical.