Palit 9800 GT fan

titus1

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2014
My 9800 GT is giving problem lately. After about half an hour of boot the screen goes black and comes back on and i get a message video drivers has recovered from a serious problem ver 340.52. Some times the pc hangs and then i have to reset.

My config is
Core two Quad 8200
Giga EP-43 DS3L
Corsair 450w THX.

Can the fan on 9800 GT be replaced? Is a gpu cooler available?
If I have to upgrade then can i put in a GTX 970?

Your core 2 quad would probably severely bottleneck a GTX 970 and your PSU is about 150w underpowered. About the best you could realistically use with that configuration, and it might still not be a good idea, would be a GTX 750 TI or R9 270. Without knowing the exact model number of your PSU I can't even tell you if you have the necessary PCI power connections coming from the PSU or not.

Have you determined that it IS a thermal issue with the 9800? Do you have a fan that's NOT running? If so, then I'd say it's almost impossible that it's NOT the issue. You must have a functional fan on your GPU unless it's a model that came without any cooling.

If you upgraded to a high quality, higher capacity PSU, you could probably use a GTX 760 or 960, or an R9 270x or 280, but you might still experience some bottleneck issues depending on your resolution and settings.

titus1

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2014

The fan is running but i guess not at full speed.
The psu is corsair VX 450.
Is time then to junk this and go for a new system altogether?

That would depend on your expectations. It might be a good idea to check the fan profile settings to make sure something isn't stopping the fan from running full speed when it should be. Since that's an older card it could be an issue with the card, or it's fan motor may just be wearing out, depending on how much use it has seen.

That's a very good power supply, but it most likely has a lot of years on it by now as those VX units were discontinued many years ago, so it has to have been around the block a few times. If you do upgrade, I would probably not plan for it to be a part of the assembly. Upgrading some core components may very well be justified depending on your means to do so.

titus1

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2014
Here is the update on my palit 9800 gt.

I checked the fan on the card and it was not working at a good speed. So i bought an 80mm fan and strapped it it on the card after removing the original small fan. There is good air flow and the heat sink is cool to the touch. If it was the heat issue it was solved i believe.
But i still had the crashes, black screen and later the same message the display driver had stopped working and recovered from a serious error driver version 340.52.
Now on my rig i have multi os installation. I have win 8.1, win 7 ultimate and Xp sp3.
The driver crashes on win 8.1 and win 7. So i thought may be i try if the same problem occurs on XP. I boot up XP and work the whole day and there is no problem. I installed Lara Croft 2010 game to further stress the card. played for about 2 hours and no problem whatsoever.
Left the pc on for more than 24 hours and no issues at all.

Meanwhile there was an updated driver on nvidia for 9800 gt. I updated the driver but result is still the same.

The crashes started all of a sudden and i infer that this may have occurred after some windows updates, both on 8.1 as well as 7, which have given rise to conflict with the video drivers.

Even now i am on XP and no crashes.

Are other people facing the same issue with other nvidia cards as well?

For one, the 9800GT is pretty old, and more recent drivers may not work well for it. You might try removing the current drivers and installing an older driver, or maybe upgrade to newer hardware for use with 7 and 8. I'd also check to see if there are any bios updates available for your motherboard that may help with 7 and 8 drivers compatibility.

titus1

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2014
Thanks for your quick response darkbreeze.
The win 7 was installed way back and was working fine all this while and i did not update the drivers at all.
When i installed 8.1 it said the drivers were incompatible and so downloaded the driver version 340.52 and this worked for a while, until suddenly i started getting these crashes. This led to the whole exercise of checking and doubting the 9800Gt.
Also the crashes started simultaneously on 7 and 8.1. This is the reason why I am doubting some windows updates that may have given rise to the driver conflicts.
What software can i use to test the 9800gt?
I checked the gigabyte site for the latest bios. But it is a beta version. should i flash the bios with this beta version?

titus1

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2014
Thanks darkbreeze, I have downloaded the uninstaller and since i am currently working with Xp i will update my results after all the steps you have suggested.

titus1

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2014
Thank you very much darkbreeze. I used the uninstaller and re installed the driver version 341.44 and it is working fine since two days. I now see the reason why we should always uninstall the older drivers first and then reinstall the new drivers. But why don't nvidia and amd say any thing about this ?
Why dont they have any utility like this on their site?
Once again many thanks.

For the same reasons Microsoft doesn't include every possibly needed piece of software, driver or productivity utility with their OS. They don't want to acknowledge that it might be needed and they don't want to pay the license fees that would likely be required to offer it as an official utility. Free for you and me doesn't necessarily mean free to the big boys. If I created a bad ass utility I'd give it to the average Joe for free, but if MS or some other big name wanted to absorb it, you can bet your sweet "insert expletive here" that they'd be having to pay me for it.

They also don't want to admit there could be issues with their own install/uninstall routines which would be necessary to do if they acknowledged the need for a utility like this.

titus1

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2014
LOL.
MS may not do it , but at least nvidia and amd should. It is their cards we are using and it is their drivers that give rise to these issues.
If they did that there would be lot more customer satisfaction.

regards
titus1

They do have uninstaller utilities, but they are not as thorough and only remove the minimum components required to not still show the driver package as installed, so that the new installer will proceed. The DDU is very thorough, removing anything that might affect efficient performance or cause conflicts, but nothing that should affect anything else.

titus1

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2014

But they don't mention that the earlier drivers should be removed completely using the utility,(however incomplete job it does) before installing the new driver.
It is this lack of information which is irritating for us and carelessness on their part that hurts.