Palit Builds First Passively Cooled GTX 750 (Ti)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Lewis

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
Might get one as a dedicated PhysX card. Would go well with my two Palit 770 JetStream 4GB cards.

Palit makes really good quality and reliable cards from my experience.

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
This would be perfect for some people that has underpowered GPU and constrained on a 250watt PSU. It might even eliminate their will to update their whole PC altogether under the same cost, since this thing would boost their CPU's gaming performance like never before under such low wattage.

I know I will, I would insist on using my old LGA775 E5400 with measly 1x2GB DDR2 and HD3650, to pop this under the hood rather than updates my entire PC under the same cost as this GPU that would perform worse.

And with passive cooling? It would even eliminate my needs for a new PSU should I take the same GPU cost from AMD.

I'd take one, despite knowing that it would still run quite hot with such cooling measure. I'd just open my case and put a fan on the side of it :v

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
The fan looks a bit on the smallish side, but it's a lower wattage card to begin with so probably deceiving on it's requirements compared to comparable 100-150 watt cards in the same performance level.

The card could probably be undervolted and underclocked a bit too further with bios modding for it's different P-States. I'm not sure how much effort Palit put into working on it's voltages and efficiencies which helps with heat and power consumption, but I bet it's got some pretty good headroom for improvement.

FirionRAzar

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Now this would be interesting for my passive build, but I don't get the cooler. I got a Zotac 640 Zone which has, let's say, the same power requirement but has a more compact cooler and runs perfectly without a fan and a pretty bad airflow of the case.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
The size of that cooler is going to really limit who can make use of the card IMO; the big draw of a passively cooled card is to do more with less space; such as relying on case fans alone in a Mini-ITX build. If you have the space for a triple height card then it just doesn't seem like you're going to be bothered about whether it is passively or actively cooled as you're going to have other things generating noise. I suppose it's one less thing to fail or degrade over time, but I just don't see why they couldn't do the same with a double height only cooler.

I have a 7850 that is the largest noisemaker in my whole system when gaming. Now if Palit could passively cool a better performing card, then I would upgrade. I wouldn't need headphones to enjoy a full range of sound without non-gaming sounds intruding.

I would love to see more video card manufacturers embrace & put more research into passively cooled cards!

I have not seen dedicated PhysX cards with a decent benefit in some time. ESPECIALLY not for already SLId cards.

WHY oh why would you want to SLI 2 of these? I just don't get the merits... Synthetically sure, but in practice. Not so much... A similarly priced higher tier card just makes so much more sense.

Not to mention this performance segment is dominated by low cost AMDs...

artk2219

Distinguished
This would be perfect for some people that has underpowered GPU and constrained on a 250watt PSU. It might even eliminate their will to update their whole PC altogether under the same cost, since this thing would boost their CPU's gaming performance like never before under such low wattage.

I know I will, I would insist on using my old LGA775 E5400 with measly 1x2GB DDR2 and HD3650, to pop this under the hood rather than updates my entire PC under the same cost as this GPU that would perform worse.

And with passive cooling? It would even eliminate my needs for a new PSU should I take the same GPU cost from AMD.

I'd take one, despite knowing that it would still run quite hot with such cooling measure. I'd just open my case and put a fan on the side of it :v

You could also pick up another stick of DDR2 pretty cheaply, and they make socket 771 to 775 adapters so you could cheaply upgrade to a quad core Xeon if your motherboard supports it, you would be in a pretty nice position after those upgrades.

http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Computer-Components-Parts-/175673/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=771+to+775&_sop=15

educalifa

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

WHY oh why would you want to SLI 2 of these? I just don't get the merits... Synthetically sure, but in practice. Not so much... A similarly priced higher tier card just makes so much more sense.

Not to mention this performance segment is dominated by low cost AMDs...

Quite simple actually... it would mean I could use a lower spec PSU since even 2 of these (heck, make that 3!) wouldn't draw as much power as one R9 290 for example. And then I could easily upgrade them to a GTX880 (if NVidia ever releases it... *yawns*) and have a fast-ish rig with lower power consumption.

I'm about 2-3 months away from my next build and I'd be reaaaaally happy with a X99 board, a decent CPU (won't even need the best of the best) and a couple of GT750i in SLi if that was possible. That would do me till the 8 series are out...

And in case you haven't noticed, electricity is hella expensive where I live.

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
You could also pick up another stick of DDR2 pretty cheaply, and they make socket 771 to 775 adapters so you could cheaply upgrade to a quad core Xeon if your motherboard supports it, you would be in a pretty nice position after those upgrades.

http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Computer-Components-Parts-/175673/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=771+to+775&_sop=15

Thank you! Finally someone who understand!
Sorry I get typos sometimes. I meant 2x1GB :v
I know it's punier still, but hey! At least it's Dual Channels :D

The motherboard I use is actually quite beefed ones despite being and old generations. I can tell by it having 2 PCI-Express lanes, and 4 RAM-stick lanes. I don't know what it is, it's been here for a decade(literally) and still holding strong.

I only have less than $200, so to purchase this GPU would be a no brainer to get level up for my PC. Even constrained by my puny components, I hope it could help me play Skyrim in better quality. Knowing how low-res my monitor is(single 1360x720), this little beast would be an overkill. I know I'd bottleneck the true potential of this GPU to some extent, but what the heck, I don't care :D

That said, I don't think I'd have spare budgets to upgrade my CPU nor my RAM if I get this :(

Status
Not open for further replies.