News Palit Cuts RTX 4060 PCIe Connector In Half

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
More cards should do this. Server boards often have x8 slots that are mechanically x8. It can sometimes be useful to put a real GPU in them, but you rarely need the fastest.

It'd be even more useful if the x4 GPUs (looking at you: RX 6400, RX 6500 XT) would be mechanically x4, because it's pretty common to find x4 slots even on consumer boards.

Additional problem: No locking tab.
The shorter the connector, the less of an issue that should really be.

More cards should do this. Server boards often have x8 slots that are mechanically x8. It can sometimes be useful to put a real GPU in them, but you rarely need the fastest.

It'd be even more useful if the x4 GPUs (looking at you: RX 6400, RX 6500 XT) would be mechanically x4, because it's pretty common to find x4 slots even on consumer boards.

The shorter the connector, the less of an issue that should really be.
Makes sense, the locking tab is mainly due to the length of the x16 slot connector causing the potential for the rear of the card to get knocked out of the socket due to a lack of retention on the part away from where its secured to the back of the case. The shorter connector means its less likely to happen since the connector should be held down closer to where its secured to the back of the case. Being honest, I've rarely seen the lack of a locking tab cause an issue with an X16 card, especially if its actually secured with screws instead of a toolless retention system. Not that toolless systems are inherently bad, its just many of the ones ive seen have held things much less securely than a couple of screws would have.

Last edited:

newtechldtech

Respectable
Sep 21, 2022
give it some time and the 16 lanes slot will disappear ... the 8 lanes bandwidth is enough ... also using only 8 lanes slots will free more space on the motherboard ... s o expect MicroATX motherboards to be the standard in few years

Reactions: artk2219

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
give it some time and the 16 lanes slot will disappear
Certainly not before PCIe 5.0 dGPUs hit the market.

... the 8 lanes bandwidth is enough ...
TechPowerUp is routinely testing PCIe scaling, and tend to find that some games (out of the 25 or so they test) benefit by as much as 10% from PCIe 4.0 x16 vs. x8. That should only increase, as GPUs get faster. So, I only see an across-the-board cut to x8 making sense if you also increase the speed to PCIe 5.0.

However, I could see entry-level motherboards maybe moving towards electrically x8 slots, in the nearer term. Especially now that an increasing number of dGPUs are only electrically x8.

also using only 8 lanes slots will free more space on the motherboard ... s o expect MicroATX motherboards to be the standard in few years
No, Micro-ATX only cuts the number of slots. So, making them shorter is irrelevant.

Form_Factor_dimension.png

Reactions: Psiboy69

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
I have seen people buing Intel's A380 Gpus, and dedicate them to real-time encoding. that's a niche use-case where a 8x slot might actually drive more sales.

But as a main GPU, i don't know. maybe some miniature motherboard in china use a main 8x slot ?

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I have seen people buing Intel's A380 Gpus, and dedicate them to real-time encoding. that's a niche use-case where a 8x slot might actually drive more sales.
That's what their Data Center GPU Flex series is for. If you're doing encoding, you can get a Flex 140, which is essentially two A380's on a single-width 75 W PCIe card.

But as a main GPU, i don't know. maybe some miniature motherboard in china use a main 8x slot ?
Their Alder Lake-N SoC has 9 PCIe 3.0 lanes. I'm sure you could design a mini-ITX board with an x4 slot, if you really wanted. Performance won't be great, but it'd easily beat the iGPU.

pf100

Commendable
Feb 18, 2022
They cut off half of the pc board that goes into the slot so the board can crack twice as easy? Palit must like doing rma's, I guess. Gpu's are already too heavy for a slot that was never designed to handle that much weight and now they want to weaken that crucial part of the card's support.

Last edited:

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Cut half of the pc board off that sticks into the slot so the board can crack twice as easy.
If you look at the board, it's pretty short and still has support from the dual-slot brackets. It's single-fan and doesn't even appear to have heat pipes. So, it won't be very heavy, and its weight appears biased towards the rear of the case.

Personally, I wouldn't worry at all about this card's PCB cracking.

newtechldtech

Respectable
Sep 21, 2022
Certainly not before PCIe 5.0 dGPUs hit the market.

TechPowerUp is routinely testing PCIe scaling, and tend to find that some games (out of the 25 or so they test) benefit by as much as 10% from PCIe 4.0 x16 vs. x8. That should only increase, as GPUs get faster. So, I only see an across-the-board cut to x8 making sense if you also increase the speed to PCIe 5.0.

However, I could see entry-level motherboards maybe moving towards electrically x8 slots, in the nearer term. Especially now that an increasing number of dGPUs are only electrically x8.

No, Micro-ATX only cuts the number of slots. So, making them shorter is irrelevant.
Form_Factor_dimension.png

more slots ? it is only three slots and most ATX motherboards ignore 2-3 slots for spacing and including SSD and components in that space ... and given no one is using SLI or dual GPU anymore you will hardly need 7 slots .. and when you do need much solts then move to server motherboards because it will not be for gaming.

having shorter 8 lanes slots will free alot of space in the motherboard for M2 SSd and other components and i/o in that space.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

cyrusfox

Distinguished
if ur running a 1080 just go for AMD's as ur after rasterized performance mainly and they are much better $ per frame in that regard.
I was running a 5700 XT, Frame pacing and graphical corruption/driver instability were issues I experienced and soured me to AMD (Prior to the 5700XT last AMD card I had was a HD 7970). I rehoused my PC into a slim SGPC49 where the largest GPU I can handle now is 43mm x 300mm and my 5700XT was way too wide (2.75 slots). Gifted to my Nephew who was ecstatic (Flight simulator addict)

I may try AMD again in the future if the right deal comes along(Or a750/a770). will be hard to beat the GTX1080 which I got 2nd hand for $100 just a couple months ago. I would like something slimer and more power efficient but don't want to trade off performance. Unfortunately even Nvidia cards with the same shader count as the GTX1080 underperform due to the difference in memory bandwidth. Pascal has really stood the test of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Unfortunately even Nvidia cards with the same shader count as the GTX1080 underperform due to the difference in memory bandwidth. Pascal has really stood the test of time.
The GTX 1600 series was a decent follow-on to the GTX 1000's, at least for those lower-end models.

The RTX boards all went too big & power-hungry. The 1000-series was their last to offer substantial performance gains without using more power.

Reactions: cyrusfox