Palit, Gainward Packs GTX 580 Cards with 3 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]ctbaars[/nom]How will going from 1.5GB to 3GB effect game play?[/citation]

Will only show any gains if you are doing multi-monitor high resolution heavy AA etc. That's what these cards were built for (note the Display port on the cards).

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]the point of 3GB being?[/citation]

Due to the architecture of the card, they couldn't go to 2GB, like the HD 6950/70. 2GB would be enough for now, but as it is, they had to double the memory to 3GB. Hey, you might be able to take advatage of that in heavy multimonitor gameplay, or in regular play in 2 years (when high end gpu's will probably come with 3GB; it will be a mainstream card by then, but still pretty usable)

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]rmmil978[/nom]Will only show any gains if you are doing multi-monitor high resolution heavy AA etc. That's what these cards were built for (note the Display port on the cards).[/citation]
Did you see the new charts comparing the GTX 560Ti? There was no visible correlation between 1GB vs. 2GB memory amounts even in highest resolutions with AA turned on. This product is for bragging rights only. Just like intel's 1000 dollar Extreme chips. No noticeable performance gains, but many people still buy them.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Did you see the new charts comparing the GTX 560Ti? There was no visible correlation between 1GB vs. 2GB memory amounts even in highest resolutions with AA turned on. This product is for bragging rights only. Just like intel's 1000 dollar Extreme chips. No noticeable performance gains, but many people still buy them.[/citation]
As for the extreme chips.....they have unlocked multipliers necessary for the highest overclocks and also are binned to get further on less voltage. They have a higher coded and unlockable TDP allowing for even further overclocking

You are a retard if you run an extreme chip at stock speeds

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Did you see the new charts comparing the GTX 560Ti? There was no visible correlation between 1GB vs. 2GB memory amounts even in highest resolutions with AA turned on. This product is for bragging rights only. Just like intel's 1000 dollar Extreme chips. No noticeable performance gains, but many people still buy them.[/citation]

Well, I happen to own a 980X, and it just so happens that there is a significant performance gain over pretty much everything on the market. You should look at the CPU Higherarchy Chart. Oh, and in terms of performance gains from my last system? I was using a P4 3.0GHz single core processor with HT. So you could say that it performs a lil better...

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Is that aluminum fins? 44 fans means a lot of power for the cooler itself![/citation]

It has to be fins, just...just has to. Doesn't it?

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Actually, Hardocp recently did SLI, CF reviews at 5760x1200. There were some signs that SLI 580 did hit the memory wall.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Yeah, but will the new cards follow the original GTX580 reference design for mounting a water block? That's the info manufacturers should be providing. :-\

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]fracture[/nom]MuuuuuuuuuuuullltiiiiiiiiiiiiiipppllllllllleeMoooooooooooooooooonniiiiiiiiiiiiiitoooooooooooooooooooooors[/citation]

Who the hell wants to use multiple monitors!? just get a freaking HDTV!

Wow tiny freaking monitors placed besides each other OR 1 big screen on your wall...what would be better? I'd go with 1 big screen! and if they want some realistic 3dish effect, then get a 3DTV. Why the hell would someone waste $800 on this thing and then another $400-$500 on 3 monitors?

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]daniel123244[/nom]I wonder if this could be used instead of a $2k quadro 5000 for tasks that require lots of memory?[/citation]

That's exactly what I was thinking. This would be incredible on Adobe Premiere with the Mercury Playback Engine. I am using the GTX460 for it now which in itself is incredible compared to CPU only but moving up to that would likely improve performance to the point that I would hit an I/O wall and need an SSD to unlock the full performance of the rest of the system.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
OTOH, it might be that using a gamer card with lots of RAM doesn't end up being
that much better (if at all) than a Quadro because of the basic 3D operation
optimisations being so different, eg. look at my Viewperf results for EVGA GTX
460 1GB FTW vs. Quadro FX 5500:

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/viewperf.txt

I've not yet run Viewperf 11 on the 460, will do so as soon as I can.

Ian.

[citation][nom]fracture[/nom]MuuuuuuuuuuuullltiiiiiiiiiiiiiipppllllllllleeMoooooooooooooooooonniiiiiiiiiiiiiitoooooooooooooooooooooors[/citation]

LOL yea really..... lets see buy 2 23" monitors or just get one big 30" monitor that will not have a thick plastic bezel between the screen

EPIC FAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.