Question Palit gtx 1080 gamerock fan issue

Apr 18, 2019
Yesterday I was gaming and during a game heard strange sound from case, after inspection I noticed that strange noise was coming from my gpu fans. They act very strange, spin - stop - spin - stop... well not really full stop, but this sound when starting to spin very annoying, this all happens before temperature 60C, after that fans continues to spin without stop at 20% of max speed and more... But on low speed is stops every 3 seconds.
So why on low temperature gpu fans acts very strange? How to fix this problem? I checked temperature on high load it is about 70-71C at 40% fan speed.
On light games sound of starting to spin persists all the time.
Please help!
M/b: Asrock extreme4 z370
CPU: 8700k
Ram: corsair vengeance 16gb ddr4 3000mhz

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Your GPU fans might be heading for the exit. Try taking it out and examining the cooling fans up close. Make sure to investigate if there's any buildup of dust that could be affecting the spin of the bearings. Then try to spin each one with your hands, does it freely come to a stop or is something stopping the spins prematurely?

If all else, you can contact your manufacturer and request an RMA for your fans to be replaced if they are defective. Usually it's about 3 years from the purchase date to submit one so hopefully you can still do this. Good luck!

Apr 18, 2019
My GPU is only 6 months old, I took it out and all is clear from dust, spined with hand it moves freely.
Check sensor graph, red is during gaming, then I went to desktop and fans starting slow down until they starting to stop/spin at 20% fan speed and lower until full stop - u can see a white between red.
bz6.png

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/19/04/18/bz6.png
All drivers up to date. With latest windows 10 updates.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019
Hi, it could be that the fan is set to start spinning once temperature reaches 45C and stop when below 45C. When the temperature of the gpu hovers at 44-45C while doing light task it causes the fan to start and stop. You can adjust the fan curve by downloading MSI afterburner or any OCing program. Set the fan to start spinning at around 30 degrees.