Question palit gtx 680 in xps 8300

Nov 26, 2020
Hi all,
please help,
I have bought an xps8300 for my son and a gtx 680, so he can game and do homework,
he wants to play fortnite, (surprise, surprise) anyway, the 680 fits and the fans spin, but nothing else,the com doesn't seem to register it being connected.
I have tried to download drivers but they also don't work, even with the gtx connected.
I am using a hdmi cable and i get a blank monitor, no response at all.
I have ordered the DVI cables just in case.
Yours hopefully Chris.
XPS HAS....
i5 cpu
8gb ram
500 gb hdd
250 sdd

Joseph_138

Distinguished
From what I can find, that machine only comes with a 460W power supply. The GTX 680 requires a 550W. You would have been better off to get something like a GTX 960 because it is comparable to a 680 in many games and draws a lot less power. The 2gb version is good enough as the 960 really doesn't have enough graphical power to play at settings that would require 4gb. A GTX 1060 3gb would be even better.

Your RAM is also on the low side for gaming. 16gb is considered the minimum for modern games now.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020
Hi,
Thanks for your help.
I was misadvised about the gtx then by the looks.
So even though the fans spin and has some physical power it may not be enough to actually work?
Would the cards you've suggested definitely fit the xps and could you possibly be so kind as to suggest a budget or 2nd hand option that will definitely do the job ?
Thanks again,
Chris.

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
Oh and also the best ram to get (on a budget) thanks again!
Chris.
Hi all,
please help,
I have bought an xps8300 for my son and a gtx 680, so he can game and do homework,
he wants to play fortnite, (surprise, surprise) anyway, the 680 fits and the fans spin, but nothing else,the com doesn't seem to register it being connected.
I have tried to download drivers but they also don't work, even with the gtx connected.
I am using a hdmi cable and i get a blank monitor, no response at all.
I have ordered the DVI cables just in case.
Yours hopefully Chris.
XPS HAS....
i5 cpu
8gb ram
500 gb hdd
250 sdd
Hello!
Can you tell us if your PSU has PCI-E connectors? I want to give you your best possible option.

Nov 26, 2020
I just looked on ebay and there are more than I was hoping for haha. The 680 was only 60 quid. Anything slightly lower in price you can think of? Thanks again.
Chris

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
Okay great thanks so much, and can you suggest best extra 8 gb ram please?
Sorry.
It's DDR3, so I don't think there would be much difference getting the best. Try to match the capacity and frequency of the sticks just so you don't have any issues. If you are running a 2x4 GB currently get 2x4 GB at the same frequency. If you are running a 1x8 GB get another 8 GB stick, again, same frequency. I'm running 2 different brands of DDR3 RAM, but with matched capacities and frequencies without any issues. Just get your hands on the best deal.

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
I just looked on ebay and there are more than I was hoping for haha. The 680 was only 60 quid. Anything slightly lower in price you can think of? Thanks again.
Chris
I'm from Bulgaria in Eastern Europe, the prices differ, but I will try my best finding something.

EDIT:
Look at different GPU's that match your budget and use this website:
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-680-vs-AMD-RX-570/3148vs3924
It gives a good evaluation of performance between two GPU's.
As I said, being a foreigner, that's as far as I can help.

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
Thanks so the 1060 is the minimum realistically?
Will buy if I have to ! Thanks.
Gaming wise - yes, you will get 60fps high settings on most games (might have to turn down some to medium) with the 1060. Be careful which version you buy, just so you don't have to use that 8-pin adapter. Also, be aware, there are the 1060 3GB and the 1060 6GB and their VRAM isn't the only difference, the 1060 3GB version is a bit weaker than the 6GB version. If there's a small price gap - I would suggest you get the 6GB version since it can still run on a 6-pin connector.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
If you decide to go for a 1060, be careful not to buy a mining card. There are a lot of people running mining rigs trying to unload their used cards for cheap prices on ebay now. Make sure it has the video outputs that you are going to need before you buy. If it doesn't have any, don't buy it.

Reactions: jonstalon
Nov 26, 2020
Thanks for the heads up Joseph,
I read a little about mining and crypto currencies but, I have to say I have no idea how that relates to computers and how they would tune one specifically for that purpose.
If you have the time please explain in moronic terms for me !
Thanks for your help,
Chris.