[SOLVED] Palit RTX 3060 TI Dual OC 8GB upgrade

DeniSonix

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
hi guys so i need to know something and i need your help
so i got a new Palit RTX 3060 TI Dual OC 8GB and after i installed it my pc restarts after playing a game for like 20-30 min
and i think it might be my PSU i think its not providing enough power

my specs are:
Palit RTX 3060 TI Dual OC 8GB
ASUS PRIME B250M-A
intel core i7-7700k 4.2
cosair vengeance 2x8GB RAM 3000Mhz (only using 2133Mhz)
2 HDD Drives
2 Monitors

before installing the new graphics card i had 1060 6GB and i had no crashes at all
i really need your help i don't know what to do

Solution
Nvidia recommends a 650 watt PSU for the RTX 3060 Ti, and that's if the PSU is of good quality. Nvidia Ampere GPUs have high transient power spikes that cause issues with power supplies that are being utilized close to their maximum capacity. Your RTX 3060 Ti draws significantly more power than your old GTX 1060 does, which is why these issues are occuring after upgrading.

You need a better PSU. I would recommend a Corsair RM750x.
The independently tested recommendation is for 575w or higher, so a GOOD 600-650w unit should be plenty. That being said, there are no significant, reputable reviews of that unit that I can find, and coupled with the fact that it's four or five years old AND the fact that Enermax has been known to...
How are we to figure out whether your power supply is the issue without knowing what kind of power supply you have?
Not to mention how old it is, and, considering the problem tends to happen consistently after 20-30 minutes, whether any thermal monitoring has been done because time related restarts are QUITE OFTEN a result of something overheating.

I'd recommend downloading HWinfo, installing it, running "Sensors only" and then monitoring the CPU and GPU temps to make sure there isn't a thermal issue at play.

DeniSonix

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
Not to mention how old it is, and, considering the problem tends to happen consistently after 20-30 minutes, whether any thermal monitoring has been done because time related restarts are QUITE OFTEN a result of something overheating.

I'd recommend downloading HWinfo, installing it, running "Sensors only" and then monitoring the CPU and GPU temps to make sure there isn't a thermal issue at play.
My PSU is:
Enermax MAXPRO 600W 80Plus EMP600AGT
i have it for a few years now 4 years maybe 5
sorry i forgot to tell you about all of that
also when i play and before my pc restarts my max CPU temps are 65 and my max GPU temps are 75 sometimes goes up to 80

DeniSonix

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
i need your help guys i really think its my PSU i have this pc for a few years now no issues no problems no restarts no crashes
and before i got the new GPU (Palit RTX 3060 TI Dual OC 8GB ) i asked on some site if it will be good with my specs they said ''not exactly like you would expect but you system can work with this GPU'' and now i have these crashes but only when im playing when im not playing no crashes and when gaming no overheating parts like i said CPU max is -65-67 and GPU max is -70-75 (sometimes 80) before that i used a GTX 1060 6GB so i think because my system is not the best for modern parts maybe it worked with the GTX 1060 6GB somehow but when i jumped from 10 series to a 30 series GPU it was too much and from what i read on other sites its my temps or my PSU pc crashed 3 times only while gaming and the temps i mentioned before were always the same no overheat from what i saw

Nvidia recommends a 650 watt PSU for the RTX 3060 Ti, and that's if the PSU is of good quality. Nvidia Ampere GPUs have high transient power spikes that cause issues with power supplies that are being utilized close to their maximum capacity. Your RTX 3060 Ti draws significantly more power than your old GTX 1060 does, which is why these issues are occuring after upgrading.

DeniSonix

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016

thank you for your comment first of all
i just got the :
SeaSonic FOCUS GOLD 850W 12cm Fan 80+ SSR-850FM
hope it will solve my issue and i hope my pc wont restart suddenly while playing games
i will update you after i will check it out

DeniSonix

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
thank you for your comment first of all
i just got the :
SeaSonic FOCUS GOLD 850W 12cm Fan 80+ SSR-850FM
hope it will solve my issue and i hope my pc wont restart suddenly while playing games
i will update you after i will check it out
UPDATE ON THE SITUATION :
after i got the new PSU i played Ghost recon wildlands for like an HOUR and for now i had no crashes if something will change i will UPDATE.

The independently tested recommendation is for 575w or higher, so a GOOD 600-650w unit should be plenty. That being said, there are no significant, reputable reviews of that unit that I can find, and coupled with the fact that it's four or five years old AND the fact that Enermax has been known to have some pretty crappy units through the years, I don't think it's even remotely unbelievable to think that you may be correct in assuming this is a power supply issue but MORE importantly is the fact that given the expense and value of the rest of your hardware, especially the graphics card, you should be running a better unit regardless of any other considerations IMO.

Seeing as you already replaced it with a Seasonic Focus, seems that was the right advice anyhow.

Solution

DeniSonix

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
LAST UPDATE:
i'v been playing some games for the past two days after replacing my PSU.
for now i had no crashes, no issues everything is working good. so it looks like the issue was my PSU.
after replacing my 600W PSU with a new 850W PSU my pc is no longer crashing mid game.

and for everyone who is reading this. me when i got the RTX 3060ti it said that min PSU needed is 550W.
some people told me min needed is 600W or 650W. so if you are getting a new RTX GPU i recommend you to get at least a 750W or higher if you can.
FIRST REASON : it WORKED for me.
SECOUND REASON : it always good to have extra then not have enough
THIERD REASON : no one but you knows how many other things you connect to your pc and how much Watts they take even if its a little bit its taking something
FOURTH REASON : if in the close future you will want to upgrade again or upgrade something els that will need more power you will already have more

Well, the reality is that not all "550w" from one company are going to be the same, or even remotely comparable to, the same capacity unit from one of the product lines of another brand. It's like comparing a Corvette to a Chevette. Yeah, they're both cars, and that's where the comparison ends.

Model, regardless of brand, makes all the difference in the world. Many companies have both very good, highly recommendable models AND at least somewhat crappy (If not just plain crappy) units. Others simply have crappy products, period. Knowing which are which AND among those who have good models, which ones are good and which ones are better used as a paperweight, is the where the rub lies.