Panaflo or Papst case fans?

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Need some advice on which company you would buy from. I will replacing at least 6 fans (4 case fans, 2 PSU fans and maybe 2 radiator fans) and not sure which company I should buy from. Any suggestions? Thanks.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
the panaflos are less expensive, and have a different humm than regular ball-bearing fans (like the papst), since they are self-lubricating sleeve bearing fans... nice and quiet. On the other hand, the papst fans are bloody expensive, but are individually balanced and tested, and are sooper quiete too. Personally, I say Panaflo.

<b>I have nothing better to say</b>

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
How expensive is expensive? And do you have any idea where I can find them on the Internet?

Which one would you think pushes more air and was just as or quieter then the other?

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
When I say expensive, I mean a Panaflo is about $8.00, while a Papst can be up to $20 (which actually isn't that bad, prices have lowered since the last time I checked). <A HREF="http://www.directron.com/quietfans.html" target="_new">Directron</A> has a good choice of Panaflo and Papst fans, though I would probably suggest <A HREF="http://www.directron.com/80l1a.html" target="_new">this</A> one for a good case fan.

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Wow that's double the price of one. I heard about the 80mm Panaflo L1's being good case fans before but if I have say 4 of them in a case would you think noise will increase dramatically?

I was either thinking of the fans you suggested or the Papst Variofan 8412NGMLV? I have a watercooling setup so I'm just wondering if I still need the extra airflow from the Panaflo's or would I be safe using the Papst's?..

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well, even 4 panaflos is gonna be pretty damn quiet compared to 4 standard fans... but if you've got a watercooling setup then i don't really think you need 4... with that koolance case, the top fans act as exhausts anyways, and i think you can get off using just two for intake and letting the exhaust go out the top without your temps budging too much...

umm, the papst variofan is a great fan too, but it is a temperature varying fan, so you're not always gonna have it running low and quiet like that - it can get loud too. if you like the papst idea, you can always grab the model that is at 12db and 19cfm (can't remember the model number), and then stick 4 of those in your case if u insist (though 2 of them as intake might even be ohk, just like i suggested with the panaflos). but yeah, you would be safe using those papst fans :smile:

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
But it would be noticeable I think?... I don't have a koolance case but a Coolermaster ATC-110 with an Innovatek watercooling setup. I know I don't need that many fans cept I think I would like to make my case look complete. (will be adding a window sometime this summer)

Right so wouldn't a Papst fan that is 12db be much quieter than a Panaflo at 21db? And the Variofan model I'm talking bout goes from 10db to ~19db which is still quieter than a Panaflo? unless the noise specifications are measured differently between the two companies.. That I am not sure of.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Oh, sorry about that got mixed-up. Ummm, you've got the Innovatek kit (btw thats a nice kit :smile: ), so in that case you will need to use the exhaust fans for sure. The Papst 12db fan is technically quieter than the Panaflo, but remember, there's always the difference between the sound of a sleeve bearing fan and a ball-bearing fan (mind you, at 12db i think it makes up for the difference). The variofan you were pointing at was the 10-19db?? I though it was the higher one (working off of memory doesn't help, heh)... in which case, go for the Papst for sure.

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Haha no problem.
So technically a Panaflo is able to push more air and is more quiet than a Papst fan with the same db rating?
Yeah I saw the variofan at Directron but now I'm not sure what to get until I figure out which pushes more air and is more quiet than the other.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
hmmm, quiet vs airflow huh? well basically, the CFM ratings for them mean cubic feet per minute of air being pushed by the fan - but these are under ideal conditions, just like the decibel ratings. but, what i did/do want you to understand about the two is that the panaflos DON'T have that whinny ball-bearing whine sound to them, even though they're not technically as quiet as the papst fans... its basically a different kind of "quiet" - in other words a less annoying noise (imagine a high pitched whine versus the sound of the wind blowing, at equal decibel levels which is less annoying?). umm, but like i said, the Papst at 12 db is practically dead silent.. basically, anything under 23db is considered REALLY REALLY quiet, your room is probably louder when you're alone and there's nothing on, heh. which leads me to say this - pick the fan based on the cfm rating, not the db rating, because obviously the sub 20db papst will be more quiet than the 21 db panaflo, but the cfm rating is kinda short - but will it do? think about it..

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Okay thanks. I made up my mind and will be getting the Panaflo's. Although cfm rating is important there will always be the cost of noise. However some higher end fans such as Panaflo is able to push more cfm's yet still maintain a quieter noise operation then generics and once I heard about Papst fans it lead me to the thought of them being better than Panaflo(why? pretty dumb but why would a company sell fans for such a higher price yet there are so many other companies out there selling them more than half the price) But you made me realize the differences and Panaflo's would suit me better so I thank you for that. Really appreciate it. Thanks again.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/tecar.html" target="_new">Sidewinder computers</A> has actually recoreded the sound of different fans as they are working in case you care to compare. Not that they have an Panflo fans.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I know its proly too late :smile:
But im using all panaflo's in my system now.

Replaced the 3 stock casefans with slow 2000rpm superquiet fans, and the 3000rpm panaflo on the CPU.

Been running hastle free for the past 3 months or so now. They rock. They just lack the annoying ballbearing BUZZ.

<b>Melb_angel: PooBaa's <A HREF="http://www.secretarythemovie.com" target="_new">Secretary!</A></b>