Panason PV-DC2090 & Compact Flash size limit?

Hello,

Need help, I have an older digital camera. 1.3mp Panasonic PV-DC2090
(PV-DC2590 is essentially the same with some extra features). Has anyone
successfully used a Compact Flash card larger than 64MB (like a 128mb card)?
If yes, have you actually taken enough pictures to fill the card (or at
least more than halfway full). The reason I ask is I bought a 128MB Compact
flash card quite some time ago after Panasonic told me it should work just
fine. I've used the card without a problem but I'm not sure if I ever took
enough pictures at one time that it filled the card past the 64MB mark until
just recently which resulted in problems. The symptom was the camera hung
trying to save a picture. Got the camera and card home and it turns out the
card was filled right to the 64mb mark. Using a CF reader on my PC I checked
the card with diskcheck and norton and they didn't find any problems. I can
fill the whole card with files or pictures without a problem from the PC. If
I use the PC to copy old camera pics to the card past the 64mb mark and put
the card back in the camera the camera knows those pictures stored above
64mb are there but it can't display them. Really sounds like a 64mb limit,
contrary to Panasonic help, but if someone can verify one way or the other
at least I'll know for sure.

THanks,

Greg

Greg L wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Need help, I have an older digital camera. 1.3mp Panasonic PV-DC2090
> (PV-DC2590 is essentially the same with some extra features). Has
> anyone successfully used a Compact Flash card larger than 64MB (like
> a 128mb card)? If yes, have you actually taken enough pictures to
> fill the card (or at least more than halfway full). The reason I ask
> is I bought a 128MB Compact flash card quite some time ago after
> Panasonic told me it should work just fine. I've used the card
> without a problem but I'm not sure if I ever took enough pictures at
> one time that it filled the card past the 64MB mark until just
> recently which resulted in problems. The symptom was the camera hung
> trying to save a picture. Got the camera and card home and it turns
> out the card was filled right to the 64mb mark. Using a CF reader on
> my PC I checked the card with diskcheck and norton and they didn't
> find any problems. I can fill the whole card with files or pictures
> without a problem from the PC. If I use the PC to copy old camera
> pics to the card past the 64mb mark and put the card back in the
> camera the camera knows those pictures stored above 64mb are there
> but it can't display them. Really sounds like a 64mb limit, contrary
> to Panasonic help, but if someone can verify one way or the other at
> least I'll know for sure.
>
> THanks,
>
> Greg

The second symptom you describe - the inability of the camera to display
images that were put there via computer - is normal.

My nikon does the same thing, whatever the size of the card, and the
culprint seems to be the info.txt file which must contain the appropriate
file names.

Which leads me to ask whether you have experimented with your Panasonic's
behavior when you fill a smaller card. does the camera hang then?

Good luck tracking this down.
--

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

Well, I called Panasonic and they now say they have tested the camera with
up to 32mb cards but they don't say if they ever tried anything larger. So I
guess I'm on my own on this one. My camera doesn't use any kind of file to
track names. As long as the pics are in the properly named folder(s) the
camera will see them no matter how they got there unless, as I now seem to
know, the card is filled past the 64mb mark. I guess I can just go buy a
64mb or second 128mb card and use both at the same time to give me a total
of 128mb (The camera has dual slots). I have the original 8mb card and if I
fill it using the PC the camera does not hang trying to take a picture it
actually flashes that there are no pictures left to take (i.e. the card is
full). I should mention the camera calculates how many pictures it can take
based on card size and resolution which you are shooting at and shows you
how may you have left. With an empty 8mb card at high resolution I can take
~15 pics. With an empty 128mb it says I can take ~241 high res pics (~0.5mb
each) although when I get to the halfway mark the camera hangs even though
it says I still have >100 pics left. So the camera knows the true card size
but it does not seem to be able to utilize all of it. Oh well, such is life.

Greg