Panasonic Announces 17,000 Job Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Ouch, that is quite the bad news and certainly Panasonic isn't the only one that is going to do some layoffs. I do hope that things work out and those jobs become open once again in the future.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
That's a shame and I hope it doesn't affect their products' quality. Panasonic has always been my favorite brand for A/V equipment. Whether it's plasma TVs or DVD players, they've never let me down. Consistently some of the best products, without the premium price of Sony.

vk_87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Already because of the quake, people would have lost quite a lot of stuff, now they find that they might also lose their jobs. Great....

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
4.6% of the workforce, over 2 years.
A lot of this could be absorbed with a recruitment freeze, natural attrition, voluntary redundancy, etc.
17000 sounds a lot, but compared to the total workforce it's not that much.
Very few will be canned involuntarily.

jrtolson

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
i thought panasonic was a sub branded devision of matshuita? same as kenwood? and there are not many kenwood branded stereo's on the market these days.. if any

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]jrtolson[/nom]i thought panasonic was a sub branded devision of matshuita? same as kenwood? and there are not many kenwood branded stereo's on the market these days.. if any[/citation]
IIRC, Matsushita renamed itself, "Panasonic" a few years back due to brand recognition.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]I wonder if those people find new jobs anywhere on their islands?[/citation]

I think they are talking about worldwide reduction. Overseas they have less people, but I don't think they need 350k just in japan. Asian manufacturing everywhere probably makes up a lot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS