Panasonic Announces 216 Mb/s Blu-ray Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

SykaSirKits

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
WOW that is awesome. Maybe I should take out a second mortgage now so I could buy a blu-ray burner and 100 of these disks. Or perhaps I will wait until they become as commonplace as DVD drives and companies stop hyping "theoretical" transfer speeds that will never be seen on common configurations in any generation of optical media in the near future.

liemfukliang

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
I hope this 6x is TRUE Speed like 6x DVD or 6x CD, not just marketing speed like 52x CD, or 16x DVD. And I hope the bluray media at least in sigle layer will be at IDR 4000 :D.

Wheat_Thins

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Like all optical disks i am sure the 6x (27megabytes per second) is on the outer rim. Its all marketing...[/citation]

BluRay uses a constant read rate; I wonder if this transfers over to write rate? The speed for reading is exactly the same at the first sector as it is the last sector.

aleluja

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
DVD's can be written in CLV mode at speeds up to 6x. Starting from the 8x it uses CAV (constat angular velocity) method all the way up to 20x. The average speed to write a full DVD at 16x is 12x.

Tho, it is possible to write in CLV mode at 8x, but i doubt it is possible at higher speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS