Panasonic KX-TGD560 Calling instructions for making a Cell phone Bluetooth call.

Clifford Sanford

Reputable
Nov 24, 2019
I recently bought this phone and been unable to make a call out via my Samsung Galaxy J3 Emerge. I have found that the owners manual is worthless, the process on page 19 has only two steps. Following that process actually takes you to several screens not even mentioned. The process almost certainly has many other steps, the manual does not give. I have spent three days trying to guess at the solution to this, it's a case of "Don't do what we say, do what we mean" trap.

Let me start by saying that I have successfully paired the phone, to one the cell phone I want to use the Panasonic with. No landline connected, wanted or needed either. The proof of it being paired is shown on the Samsung phone itself. No other Bluetooth connection is shows up in the list of available connections.

As expected the next step to making or receiving the first call is to specify the line to use. In this case I had paired the system to position "Cell 1". The instructions on page 19 shows no screen or instructions to select any phone or landline resembling what actually shows up. This raises the question of why it's even necessary to specify a connection when the phone has only one to choose from out of a list of one.

The phone is useless if Panasonic did not think they should print a complete and accurate set of instructions for there customers to use. Panasonics idea of support seems to be only offering a .pdf copy of the same manual that came with the phone. :(

I would appreciate anybody's help in learning the real "Do as I mean" part of calling on this phone.

Which way you want to use that connection - for your smartphone to make landline calls, or for the base / headsets to act as a handset for the smartphone? The one I have (can't remember the model) has the latter.

Clifford Sanford

Reputable
Nov 24, 2019
I thought I made that clear when I wrote "Let me start by saying that I have successfully paired the phone, to one the cell phone I want to use the Panasonic with. No landline connected, wanted or needed either." I did not even know that you could do anything else. I do not have a landline or a second smart phone. In short I wanted to be able to use the two Panasonic extensions to call out on my Boost smart phone account. Also I do not have a headset to connect to any phone.
As I said the manual indicates that afte r pairing you must direct the Panasonic phones to the smart phone before attempting to call out. Don't know why it has to be told which to connect too when a landline and a second smart phone does not exist The step after that pretends to tell you how to manually do the this, to manually connect to the only smart phone that exist in my home. That second step results in nothing seemingly related to pointing anything to anything. One person on another forum believes that neither of the two steps on page 19 is even necessary. You are suppose to just pickup the Panasonic handset after pairing and just dial the number. This was just like the procedure on the Vtech phone that the Panasonic I hoped would replace it. Likewise when the cell phone rang the Vtech rang and you just picked up the Vtech and talk to the caller. The Vtech still worked fine with the smartphone. It was being replace because the LCD display stopped working and was always now blank. As suggested, I tried dialing out without doing the pointing process on page 19. Then all I could hear was the dialing tones and got nothing but silence after that.

Clifford Sanford

Reputable
Nov 24, 2019
Follow up: Discovered today a peculiarity on the Panasonic screen. Pressing the button below the word Cell, it displays a phone number that does not match my Boost Mobile phone number. It's a phone that I do not recognize and does not match any number in the Samsung smart phone Contacts list. It appears to me that the Panasonic is not showing the correct number passed on during the pairing process, but somehow the Panasonic is generating another number randomly. This would seem to explain the situation of when the user can hear the phone attempting to dial the number the intended number to call. like wise This could also explain why the when the smart phone rings the Panasonic does not ring. If a solution is not found by Monday the Panasonic is going back to the store for a refund.

Clifford Sanford

Reputable
Nov 24, 2019
Problem resolved, sort of, the problem did prove to be a case of misrepresentation by Panasonic. Any buyers contemplating purchasing this phone, be aware that Panasnic may not fully and accurately describe the phone you may be thinking of purchasing. The lack of accurate of sales information, was the motivation as the basis for many states “Implied Warranty Laws”. One goal of these laws are intended to protect consumers from being lured into buy products misrepresented, wasting the consumer valuable time and money. As the old business saying goes “there never a problem if its somebody else s problem”. In this case the somebody else being the consumer.

In the case of the phone I purchased, Panasonic in the advertising and packaging touted the feature of the DECT system needed for connecting to Smart phones. The wording used being misleading. The wording rarely includes disclaimer adjectives like “some, many, most, specific” Smart Phones. This lack of a disclaimer printed or verbal, constitutes a violation of the “Implied Warranty Laws”

In my situation after purchasing the phone online, I had wasted 5 days trying to set the phone up to work as intended. On the fifth day, by accident found that this phone (the only phone in a long list of compatible Samsung Galaxy phones) was not listed. This phone could never work with my Samsung Smart phone.

After learning this I examined the packaging and found in small print a line on the back of the packaging proclaiming “Compatible with most Bluetooth enabled cell phones”. Products advertised and sold on line don't include pictures of the packaging, especially the back or sides of the box. With no written disclaimer in the advertising, to read before purchasing it effectively provides the makers and retailers a backdoor to abusing the implied warrant laws.

For me its back to resurrecting the Vtech phone. Case closed.

Reactions: Alabalcho